VMware Cloud Community
sergefeldmansky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmWare Converter unknown internal error

Hi,

I am running vmWare converter v5.0 and I am trying to convert from ESX 4.0 host to vSphere 5 hosts. The converstion was going fine but then it failed with an error

I was trying to rerun the converstion but geeting a following error after hitting "Finish Button": A general system error occured: unknown internal error. I was trying to change parameters and even select different volume to copy virtual machine into but error stil remains. I am attaching diagnostics logs. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thank you in advance or all your help.

Serge

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Looking at the log you are trying to create two disks on the target - one on datastore s-fs-1-Data and one on datastore s-fs-1-OS. The error is

2012-03-27T09:52:05.288-07:00 [04112 info 'Default'] [,0] Error 3 opening disk vpxa-nfc://[s-fs-1-OS] s-fs-1.doubleline.corp/s-fs-1.doubleline.corp.vmdk@172.30.0.104:902!52 b5 c6 d3 ce 0d 77 9c-79 1b 64 a4 fc df 6c e6.
2012-03-27T09:52:05.288-07:00 [04112 error 'Default'] [BaseDiskSetComputer::DoOpen] OpenDisks failed, mntapi error: 50
2012-03-27T09:52:05.288-07:00 [04112 error 'Default'] [BaseDiskSetComputer::AnalyzeErrorAndThrow] Error occurred when opening disk set, MNTAPI_ERROR = 50 MNTAPI errorType = 2, errorCode = 3

It is failing to open the disk on s-fs-1-OS datastore. It is not clear whether the other disk has been opened successfully. While opening a disk on the datastore Converter tries to create a temporary file in tmpdir. Error code 3 means "path not found" and it is reported when for some reason the temporary directory could not be created. It should look like vmount-temp\vmware-logX under curent temp directory. It might be related to user permissions - try to do the same when logging on with local administrator on the machine where Converter Server is installed, and also try to disable UAC if it is on.

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sergefeldmansky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am attaching logs file.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hm, there are no Worker logs in the archive. Is there a chance that your Worker service is crashing when you press Finish? You can check in the Service Control manager if it is restarting of in Task Manager whether vmware-converter-w.exe process gets a different PID (meaning it is restarting). You can also try to collect manually the Worker log files - they should be on the machine where Converter Server is installed under %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs on pre-Vista windows and under %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs on Vista+.

Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I  tried to rerun converter and I didn;t see worker service restarted. I am attaching worker log files

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Looking at the log you are trying to create two disks on the target - one on datastore s-fs-1-Data and one on datastore s-fs-1-OS. The error is

2012-03-27T09:52:05.288-07:00 [04112 info 'Default'] [,0] Error 3 opening disk vpxa-nfc://[s-fs-1-OS] s-fs-1.doubleline.corp/s-fs-1.doubleline.corp.vmdk@172.30.0.104:902!52 b5 c6 d3 ce 0d 77 9c-79 1b 64 a4 fc df 6c e6.
2012-03-27T09:52:05.288-07:00 [04112 error 'Default'] [BaseDiskSetComputer::DoOpen] OpenDisks failed, mntapi error: 50
2012-03-27T09:52:05.288-07:00 [04112 error 'Default'] [BaseDiskSetComputer::AnalyzeErrorAndThrow] Error occurred when opening disk set, MNTAPI_ERROR = 50 MNTAPI errorType = 2, errorCode = 3

It is failing to open the disk on s-fs-1-OS datastore. It is not clear whether the other disk has been opened successfully. While opening a disk on the datastore Converter tries to create a temporary file in tmpdir. Error code 3 means "path not found" and it is reported when for some reason the temporary directory could not be created. It should look like vmount-temp\vmware-logX under curent temp directory. It might be related to user permissions - try to do the same when logging on with local administrator on the machine where Converter Server is installed, and also try to disable UAC if it is on.

HTH

Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I loged in into the server with local admin account and converter worked like a charm

0 Kudos
JCOEN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

An alternative to logging on as a local administrator or disabling UAC is to right-click the converter execuatable and choose "Run as administrator". Doing this will allow you to get past the error.

-Josh

0 Kudos