VMware Cloud Community
johnp9999
Contributor
Contributor

vm conversion error 1154

Hi,

I have been having a lot of difficulty creating a vm from a powered on machine running winxp pro. I'm using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone client version: 4.3.0. I have used this app to migrate other vm's over to the new host and also to restore one from an image; however, when I try to create a vm from the aforementioned powered on machine I get an error.

The process I have been following is the following:

1) Open the application and select convert machine and then source type as Powered-on machine

2) specify remote machine and add ip address and user name and password and select windows as OS famly

3) Click next

it then says that it is connecting to the machine and then another window opens

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Agent Deployment

it states that is needs to temporarily install the agent on the remote machine

I then check

Automatically uninstall the files when import succeeds

and click yes

It says that it is deploying agent and then I get the error message

"Unable to complete vCenter Converter agent installation on -.-..- Error code 1,154"

I checked the error code on the web and found this:

Error Code 1154

System error code 1154 means "One of the library files needed to run this application is damaged."

The machine that I am trying to convert is pretty old - it is an old MS Windows NT workstation that is running WinXP pro now. Could this be part of the problem?

How do I fix this situation?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Billho201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Well, yes the OS is indeed to old, it's not supported by the VMware converter any more.

As I remember, the source machine should be newer than windows 2000 sp3.

From my experience, you have two choices,

1.     Try a very old version VMware standalone converter for online backup

2.     Use Acronis or other backup software to create an image of your host computer and import to the vSphere using the VMconverter which is an offline backup solution.

Hope can help you.

0 Kudos
vuzzini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Standalone converter 4.0.x is not supported to convert old windows OS like NT systems and as you are using windows xp older version, you might not be able to convert the VM with standalone converter 4.3.

If you can, download the Converter 3.0.3 standalone, and install it directly on the Windows system.  Note, that this is pretty old, at may not connect directly with vCenter or ESX 4.0/4.1.

Please let me know should you require any further information.

Kind regards,

Sandeep Vuzzini

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Sandeep Vuzzini Sr. DevOps Engineer
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to VMware Community. Your post was moved to vCenter Converter forum.

0 Kudos
ChandanNuckched
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you check the Win XP Pro if it already had the converter service running or installed?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you may use the coldclone  iso from the converter 3.0, it fully support the cloning of a machine booting from a "live CD converter".

http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/docs/vmwdocs/coldcloning.pdf

0 Kudos
JEANNE77
Contributor
Contributor

Yo tengo el mismo problema con ese error... la cuestion es que yo ya habia convertido una maquina fisica en virtual, con SO Windows 2000, realice los mismos pasos pero en esta ocasion me genera el error 1154... a que se debe esto...

0 Kudos
ChandanNuckched
Contributor
Contributor

En servicios de Windows, Detenga el Agente de VMware y vuelva a intentarlo ...

0 Kudos
JEANNE77
Contributor
Contributor

como detenga???

0 Kudos
ChandanNuckched
Contributor
Contributor

sólo detener el agente y vuelva a intentarlo

0 Kudos