VMware Cloud Community
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter convertor agent - wont start, error 1053

hi all,

so im in the process of migrating my vms of xen to vcenter and so far so good on the linux machines, but windows im getting stuck

i have installed the vcenter convertor agent on the local machine and its installed but i cant get it to start in the services (see pic)

service.PNG

so i then changed this in the reg

reg.PNG

also

thanks,

rob

38 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately the worker's logs a more important.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The timeout exception is nothing with any/helper's memory.

Also - helper iso is for Linux conversions and nothing with Windows conversions.

0 Kudos
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

heres the worker

0 Kudos
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

couple of errors at the bottom of the log -

ERROR 2 opening key mntApi6658894730797151\Objects\{9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}\Elements\12000002

ERROR: Error 2 reading CSDVersion value from key mntApi68987535230797151\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

ERROR 2 reading SP information

ERROR: Error reading from mntApi84925111230797151\ControlSet001\Services\vmxnet - 2.

ERROR 2 getting vmxnet information, assuming vmxnet is not installed

Error 2 reading 'startType' for .NET CLR Data

Error 2 reading 'Type' for .NET CLR Data

Error 2 reading string/dword value Service from Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\primary_ide_channel

Error 2 (opening key) saving registry key mntApi95800214930797151\ControlSet001\Services\rhelfltr into \\.\vstor2-mntapi20-shared-27FACF8500004024000000000A000000\Windows\$Reconfig$\mntApi95800214930797151-ControlSet001-Services-rhelfltr-reg

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, your source controller is IDE, why you try to change it? it is not trivial task and result is not runable VM.

2020-02-27T10:06:15.203Z info vmware-converter-worker[09004] [Originator@6876 sub=task-2] Disk: \\.\PhysicalDrive0 has adapter type IDE

2020-02-27T10:06:15.203Z info vmware-converter-worker[09004] [Originator@6876 sub=task-2] Disk: \\.\PhysicalDrive0 has serial QM00001, firmware 0.10.2, model QEMU HARDDISK

So, choose IDE for destination disk controller and try again.

HTH

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not a real errors, don't breaks reconfiguration and not affects conversion.

0 Kudos
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

right i did another conversion, this time i made the dest vm use IDE

it tries to boot up but goes straight to blue screen

i then went in bios changed the first boot to cd and the 2nd boot to hard drive

i loaded the windows iso and booted from that

once it rebooted i did a system recovery cmd

pastedImage_0.png

i made volume 1 active as this is the mbr and volume 2 is windows

also i ran this

bcdboot d:\Windows

still no joy!!!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Looking again in worker's log I've found that your OS is not configured in standard way for IDE channels and probably you need to do some manual steps.

(Your IDE controller if not standard and need to be changed to the Windows' one somehow). look for Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\primary_ide_channel and secondary_ide_channel in log

Also you need to google howto do conversion of QEMU HARDDISK to VMDK.

HTH

EDIT:

Probably not worth to remove Microsoft Hyper-V Guest Infrastructure services too.

0 Kudos
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

thanks POCEH!!!!

good how to

https://chariotsolutions.com/blog/post/convert-citrix-xenserver-xva-image-to-kvm/

also as another test i installed fog, captured the source image then deployed it to a new vm and it still failed

https://fogproject.org/download

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've googled "Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\primary_ide_channel"  and found a small registry patch for (re)registering IDE adapters, as a wild guess you can try to do this patch in repair console.

HTH

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

thanks POCEH

i will make a script to add the reg keys

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-edit-registry-using-command-prompt-windows-10

0 Kudos
althafphussain
Contributor
Contributor

Running in elevated mode will fix this issue, since i encountered similar error. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

you mean running the converter in elevated mode?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Absolutely irrelevant comment!

0 Kudos
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

i imported the reg keys (see attachment named reg)

i then restarted the vm and once restarted i started the conversion on the local machine, i chose IDE for the destination VM

it did it and i have made sure the destination is IDE (see attachment named ide)

but im still getting the blue screen

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What the BSOD code is? Could be happens in other place not for storage controllers...

0 Kudos
ukitsupportpixe
Contributor
Contributor

tbh with you POCEH, i gave up and installed windows again from scratch on the new esxi server

as i spent more time troubleshooting it and in that time i coould had built tens of them lol

0 Kudos