VMware Cloud Community
Devilschild
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter converter 4.2.0 - unable to schedule P2V

I have recently upgraded vcenter server and hosts to ESX 4.1 and have observed that it is now no longer possible to 'schedule' P2V conversions. I'm guttered as I use this feature regularly as part of our DR strategy for static servers (that may change once or twice a week). Technical support have advised this feature was removed as this created too many issues for customers.

Any ideas to a work around? I would be grateful to here from you.

Cheers

D6C

PS: I am absolutely bewildered features can be removed with upgrades.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

have you tried to use scheduled tasks of vCenter Server?

vCenter Server 4.1 allow to schedule a Export Virtual Machine task using vCenter Converter. You can see this in the VMware documentation " Datacenter Administration Guide", especifically on page 191 and 192.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
Devilschild
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, it is scheduled tasks in vcenter server that i am referring to...

0 Kudos
1fizgig
Contributor
Contributor

But Patricio is correct, it appears to be included in the documentation. It's certainly there in vSphere 4.0, and we haven't upgraded to 4.1 yet.

When did you upgrade?

0 Kudos
Devilschild
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, the documentation says you can. Check out the attached pic. When it comes to schedule a task... you can't!

0 Kudos
Devilschild
Contributor
Contributor

I upgrade yesteday. What an effort!!! The ISO kept hanging on a cab file so I downloaded the zip file version and ran fine. It did not convert all my scheduled tasks though ;-). The old version didn't care whether it was importing a virtual or physical machine. Converter now wants to access the ESX Host before it clones a virtual machine, which by the way works as it used to i.e. clones can be scheduled.

0 Kudos
1fizgig
Contributor
Contributor

That bottom pic looks like a scheduler window?

Incidentally, is that the standalone converter, or vCenter server converter? Odd to see the icon in the top left, which isn't in my vCenter server import task windows.

I know the vSphere upgrade from ESX3.5 didn't bring the scheduled tasks across, which was a real pain as I had about 20 jobs to recreate.

0 Kudos
Devilschild
Contributor
Contributor

The bottom pic is a scheduler window. Note you can't schedule the task... !!!

Yes vConverter vcenter server :-). Plug-in 4.2.0

0 Kudos
1fizgig
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, that's a big surprise and a big concern, as we have some physicals we "protect" by p2v on a scheduled basis, as well as importing vms to allow the overwrite function to keep refreshing the copies.

Did they change clone jobs so that they can overwrite an older clone?

0 Kudos
Devilschild
Contributor
Contributor

Clone jobs all good although somewhat different... just overwrite!

We are a small environment and use Vizioncocer vconverter to do continious images on our dynamic servers and 'did' use vc converter for static systems.

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That is correct. If you want to schedule a importing task to be executed in a daily basis, this is not possible using Schedule Task on vCenter Server, just don't show the "Interval" field, which is mentioned in the VMware documentation (bad thing).

In the other hand, if you want to clone a virtual machine, this can be scheduled in a daily basis, using the execution interval, according to Devilschild said.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
Devilschild
Contributor
Contributor

My mistake. 'cloning' doesn't work either!!! IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO OVERWRITE A CLONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
1fizgig
Contributor
Contributor

Well at least that functionality hasn't changed then 😕

Seriously though, I can't believe they took scheduling out - it was one of the most useful features to our organization for DR. We may have to start looking to alternatives, maybe even to vSphere itself.

0 Kudos
kraeg
Contributor
Contributor

hi!

We have the same problem. Upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 and now we can't schedule recurring P2V tasks anymore.

It worked perfectly with 4.0.

Do I have to do a downgrade to accomplish the needed recurring P2V tasks?

Thanks

Axel

0 Kudos
kraeg
Contributor
Contributor

It's not a bug - it's a feature:

Discontinued Support
You cannot schedule recurring conversion tasks with vCenter Converter 4.2

So I went back to vSphere 4.0. The 4.1.1 converted does the jobs I need.

If VMWare does not activate this feature in the future again I'm seriously considering to switch.

Axel

0 Kudos
PeterFroehlich
Contributor
Contributor

We are having exactly the same problem now.

This really is a joke, the function worked like a charm. :smileyangry:

I hope the community comes up with something. This seems like a good beginning:

https://community.emc.com/message/522461

- Peter

0 Kudos
joanneva12a
Contributor
Contributor

kraeg wrote:

It's not a bug - it's a feature:

http://vmware.be/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vcc_42_rel_notes.html#knownissues

Discontinued Support
You cannot schedule recurring conversion tasks with vCenter Converter 4.2

Thanks for pointing that out - I just went through a very painful upgrade and ran into the same problem - I am very surprised this isn't a bigger issue with folks - now I also have to back off to the previous version as well. I am not happy.

So has anyone tried using the older vCenter Converter Plugin 4.1 with the newer vCenter Server 4.1 ?

I would be interested in knowing if that works

0 Kudos
cfoley1970
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to have to co-sign on the disappointment of losing this functionality.  It has put a MASSIVE crimp in our Disaster Recovery efforts at our company.

Thanks for the link Peter....I'm hoping to be able to roll with my own P2V/I2V solution.  If I get it working, I'll definitely share somewhere.

Chris

0 Kudos
1fizgig
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, if you could share here that would be awesome. I'm still holding back updating our vSphere 4.0  hosts due to needing the scheduled jobs.

We're almost to the point of checking out Veeam offerings as a workaround!

0 Kudos
PeterFroehlich
Contributor
Contributor

I'm implementing a new solution based on PowerCLI right now. I took the great, but slightly broken "VM-Backup 2.0" from MBN Business Solutions as a start and streamlined it.

http://www.mbnbusiness.co.uk/blog/2010/08/updated-powercli-vmware-vm-backup-script-v2-0/#comment-662

Still, the original solution was better integrated and did the same without investing two days of work.

-> Still angry with VMware.

-Peter

0 Kudos