VMware Cloud Community
MichaelLowry
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client hangs when starting Converter

I recently completed an installation of a new vCenter Server. I installed version 4.1.0 (build 258902). I installed vCenter Converter and the vCenter Converter plug-in for the vSphere Client.

Most things work fine. However, whenever I attempt to do anything* in the vSphere client that is related to Converter, the vSphere Client hangs completely. I have to kill the VpxClient.exe process and restart the program.

*1. When I attempt to start Converter (by right-clicking on a resource pool and choosing "Import Machine…"), the message "Loading VMware vCenter Converter. Please wait…" is displayed, but then the vSphere client freezes.

*2. Selecting "VMware vCenter Converter Help" from the Help menu also results in a complete hang of the client.

I'm not sure if this might be pertinent, but for a short time I also had the Converter Standalone 4.3 installed. I removed this program when I found that it conflicted with, and was obviated by, the integrated Converter for vCenter Server.

I have tried removing and then re-installing the integrated vCenter Converter; but the problem remains.

Any ideas?

--

Michael A. Lowry

mlowry.blogspot.com

-- Michael A. Lowry mlowry.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelLowry
Contributor
Contributor

I completely removed all VMware products from the vCenter server machine and started from scratch. The only thing I left in place was the database.

Then, I ran into registration errors when trying to install the vCenter Update Manager and vCenter Converter:

"Error 25085.Setup failed to register VMware vCenter Update Manager extension to VMware vCenter Server"

"Error 29454.Unable to register/unregister vCenter Server extension."

Following the instructions in KB article 1024795 resolved the first problem, and I was then able to install the vCenter Update Manager. However, I still saw the second error when trying to install vCenter Converter.

--

Michael A. Lowry

mlowry.blogspot.com

0 Kudos
Andre39
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem. It started when I renamed the vcenter server. I reinstalled vcenter and restored the databases. Got the error messages on both converter and update manager. The KB article fixed the update manager but I can't get the converter to install.

Andre

0 Kudos
Andre39
Contributor
Contributor

GOT IT!!

In that same KB article under the section for deleting some rows from tables in the database I replaced all the 'com.vmware.vcIntegrity' with 'com.vmware.converter' ran the statements and it deleted the about 308 rows. I then tried the install again and it worked. Hope this helps you too.

Andre

MichaelLowry
Contributor
Contributor

Fiddling with the database did not help, so I started over. I removed all the VMware software. Then I reinstalled vCenter Server, telling the installer to overwrite the existing database. This time I was able to install Converter and Update Manager without problems.

--

Michael A. Lowry

mlowry.blogspot.com

0 Kudos
nickilla
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the mentioned issue with the converter and also did the above steps (ADSI Edit and SQL statements  - replaced according vmware-converter).

But in opposite to one of my previous posters I did not succeed.

Since uninstalling the whole vcenter is no option for me - do you have further suggestions?

tia

Sincerely,

Marco

0 Kudos