VMware Cloud Community
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 5 converter

I install a fresh install of vCenter 5.  How do I install the intergrated vSphere 5 converter so I can P2V servers?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware Converter is not included in vCenter Server anymore. Use http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_converter_sta... instead.

André

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should this be loaded on the Virtual Center server?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Basically you will install it on the system from where you want to start the conversion. This could be vCenter Server if you want.

André

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may have some conflict trying to install on a server with vcenter already installed, as the standalone converter typically will want to use ports 80/443 as vcenter does.  I have a separate machine I use for performing conversions.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would install it inside a VM. One VM for version 5 and another one for version 3.0.3

dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help.....I will install on a seperate vm.  I have the vcenter converter installed on a seperate vm in my vSphere 4 environment.  Any idea why it isn't included in vCenter anymore?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I think the reason for providing the Converter as a separate download is that VMware does not want to maintain different versions/patchlevels of the same tool.

from http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vcc_42_rel_notes.html

VMware vSphere 4.1 is the last major release for VMware vCenter  Converter plug-in. VMware will continue to provide technical support for  vCenter Converter through the end of its support lifecycle. VMware will  continue to update and support the free vCenter Converter Standalone  product, which enables conversions from sources such as physical  machines, VMware and Microsoft virtual machine formats, and certain  third-party disk image formats.

André

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

... and because of the internal processes the release cycle of a Standalone Converter is much shorter than the Integrated one, which means the integrated version is more outdated in terms of supported OSes and features when it is actually released.

Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, so Converter is no longer integrated with vCenter. How do I remove the Alert in vCenter Service Status ie. Unable to retrieve health data from https://server.domain.com/converter/health.xml. I assume it is leftover from the upgrade I perfromed from 4.1 to 5.0 Smiley Sad Not a big deal, but always annoying to see the big RED warning symbol in Service Status. Also, defeats the purpose of having a Status when there is always a false-positive Alert.

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here is workaround:

To remove this stale converter entry in the "vCenter service status" page, please find the following steps:

1. Copy cleanup.bat, cleanup.class files in attachment into following folder:

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server

Opened command prompt and run following commands:

> cd C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server

> cleanup.bat

# This will basically print the help on how to run this command and exits.

> cleanup.bat com.vmware.converter

# This will remove the converter health entry from ADAM database

> cleanup.bat com.vmware.vcIntegrity

# This will remove the VUM health entry from ADAM database.

2. Verify the vCenter service status page again , and see if it displays the converter entries.

Please share your experience, Thanks

0 Kudos
BigGee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi POCEH,

Thanks for the fix, but I had also put in an SR and they called me back before I had time to apply your fix.

Thanks again

Mark

0 Kudos