VMware Cloud Community
Baldygb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter converter standalone error when selecting a hyper-v vm, Permission to perform this operation was denied

Help with vCenter converter standalone

We just stood up our VxRails with a vSphere environment and now we are attempting to convert our existing Hyper-V virtual machines running on a failover cluster on 3 Windows server 2012R2 nodes using the free utility vCenter converter standalone to convert the Hyper-V vms to VMware VM on vSphere infrastructure. In the converter, after selecting a source Hyper-V server with credentials and viewing the VMs running on this node, i selected a virtual machine that is powered off then click next but i get an error: "Permission to perform this operation was denied".

Another article i read suggested to edit a User Account Control in Security Options in Local Security Policy on the source VM but this didn't work either.

Anyone have a tip on converting Hyper-V vm to wmare vm?

Thanks

Baldygb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Baldygb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The solution was to login to the host Hyper-V server, enable the built-in Administrator account and give it a password. Running the converter from the Hyper-V or from a VM in vSphere we were able to clone and convert the VM.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Baldygb and welcome the community!

Sorry if this has already been tried but can you make sure you are running VMware Converter by using the "Run as Administrator" option or have UAC disabled on the machine that you are running Converter from?

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Baldygb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The solution was to login to the host Hyper-V server, enable the built-in Administrator account and give it a password. Running the converter from the Hyper-V or from a VM in vSphere we were able to clone and convert the VM.

Thanks

NFP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was facing the same problem (vCenter converter 6.2.0) and the solution was as explained before, pls check image.vCenter_Converter.png

JonathanKGP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enabling the local administrator and putting a password on it fixed this problem for me as well.  I even had a new account that was a member of local administrators, but it had no impact, even when specifying that user.  

0 Kudos