VMware Cloud Community
kbelt
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter converter for windows 2000

I have an old windows 2000 workstation that has important data on it.  The database cannot be migrated to anything newer, so i must preserver the data for historical purposes.  I tried converter standalone, but it tells me it will not run on windows 2000.  How can i physical to virtual this thing?  Any help will be much appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

Try the cold convertor

http://www.vmsage.com/vmware-converter/getting-the-vmware-cold-clone-iso

VCP-DCV, VCP-DT, VCAP-DCD, VSP, VTSP
0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Converter 3.0.3 and cold-clone ISO are deprecated. However Windows 2000 is supported by Converter 4.0.1 https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter HTH

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> The Converter 3.0.3 and cold-clone ISO are deprecated.

Hmm - I would not say so. The old coldclone CD can do jobs the newer one fails with

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Right continuum Like export to .OVF .OVA  -  have downgraded so I can create appliances.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

downgrade ? why that ?

If you are clever you have several versions of Converter installed inside different VMs and then use always the one that fits the job best.

I use version 5 and 3.0.3 plus two different Coldclone Cds

0 Kudos
Ashrafali79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

first you have to ensure that your win 2000 is SP4 and have latest Rollup

second install the VMware Converter 3.0.3 or 4.0 and after installing it on the source machine (win 2000 sp4) you must to rebbot the machine

then strat to convert.

if you found this information is useful done't forget to remark as answerd

Thanks 

0 Kudos
rsochan
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to try version 3.0.3, but it appears the link provided is no longer valid.  Anyone have a working link where I can get this version?

0 Kudos
QCS
Contributor
Contributor

VMware removed the VMware converter 3.x from the VMware website as its End Of Life. You can use VMware converter 4.0.1 on Windows 2000 Sp4, its availbale in VMware website.

0 Kudos
vN3rd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@kbelt,

I have wrestled with my fair share of Win2k [and earlier :smileycry:] P2Vs, about 30% of which went 'smooth'.

That said, similar to what @Continuum mentioned, I  typically end up going through a few interations of the conversion  process experimenting with converter flavors until things complete  successfully.

Is the source disk configuration any level of RAID? I have had issues  where a disk controller driver needed to be placed on the source prior  to conversion in order for it to complete successfully.

Kevin Kirkpatrick | www.vmotioned.com | @vN3rd
0 Kudos
QSnagglethorpe
Contributor
Contributor

See this post for a good download link.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Guys

If you have a requirement for an older version, please PM me. 

For the record I have a VM with multiple snapshots each with a differing version of converter all the way back to VMware P2V Assistant 2.1.1 BUILD 22603.

Smiley Wink

Fraser Hall - VMware Solutions Architect

Singapore

0 Kudos