VMware Cloud Community
notesguru99
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter converter fails, possibly not setup correctly

Hello everyone

I don't seem to be able to import physical to virtual machines anymore across our WAN.  In our test setup I have the vCenter server installed at Site A with one vmhost at Site A and one vmhost at Site B.   At Site B I want to import a local physical server to the host at Site B.  This worked for me on Sunday, I imported the server and it only took about 15 minutes as the physical to virtual all took place locally at Site B.  I have now deleted the virtual server I imported and want to demonstrate this process again to my peers.  However, it fails on the step 'Source Login'.  I have searched the forum and followed the suggestions here --> http://communities.vmware.com/message/1209285 but to no avail.

I have noticed on the vCenter server, under guided consolidation, configuration, health status that the vCenter Converter Server installation location is the IP address whereas the collector and server are the DNS names.

I checked the logs on my PC where I initiated the import and found the following entry :-

[2011-03-12 13:43:43.072 'Libs' 2500 warning] SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: vCenter.domain.local vs 10.0.0.6
[2011-03-12 13:43:43.072 'Libs' 2500 warning] SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

* The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate

* The host certificate chain is not complete.
[2011-03-12 13:43:43.072 'Libs' 2500 warning] SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

I am wondering if this is an issue?

I can however import physical servers on the same local LAN segment as the vcenter server, but for whatever resason it now does not work for any of my remote sites?  Nothing has changed on any connections between the offices.

If anyone can shed any light I would much appreciate it.

TIA

Stuart

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey there, doesn't it always figure that when you try to show something off it fails Smiley Sad

Anyway, there are a few things I always try with Converter that seem to work most of the time.

First I always use ip addresses when specifying the source computer instead of dns name, and if you are using dns name make sure it is fqdn....

Secondly, if possible I always try to use an account of a Local Admin on the source computer...sometimes even creating a local one just for this purpose

Third, Double check that all the correct ports that need to be open between everyone are open... Had an issue once where converter would hang and eventually fail at 4% everytime....Opened up the ports and then everything is golden.

One final thing, when you start converter it installs a little client on the source machine to do/assist with the conversion. When you start trying again, you may want to login to the source machine first and uninstall it, just to make sure you are really starting clean....

Hope this helps... Let me know!

Conrad www.vnoob.com | @vNoob | If I or anyone else is helpful to you make sure you mark their posts as such! 🙂
0 Kudos