VMware Cloud Community
lukaszzasko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Standalone - new version

Hi,

Couple weeks ago VMware change status of vCenter converter to EOL. Do you know when Vmware release new version?

3 Replies
FirozeB_za
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That article is dated February 2022, its currently May. I will try to get an update on where this is and the ETA.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I do not think that there will be a new version of a product that does not earn money and so does not pay for the developing costs.
You could argue that every P2Ved Windows host adds to the vSphere sales and indirectly pays out by producing more satisfied customers. But I seriously doubt that VMware management uses such a longterm oriented strategy.
The Coldclone LiveCD that was available in times of Windows XP was dropped for similar reasons and never returned.

I would highly suggest that you dont hold your breath while waiting for a new version.
Spend the time for learning how to patch the Windows registry instead - for the transport part of the P2V job simply use dd - that creates 100% ESXi compatible flat.vmdks.
For P2V you essentially need nothing more than a Linux LiveCD and a bit of knowhow.

Ulli