VMware Cloud Community
iannjass
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Converter "Reconfiguration is not supported for the selected source."

Hi I would like to ask for your assistance to what causes this issue that I encountered.

My Goal for doing this is to shrink the Hard disk size since some of the spaces on the VMWare is not being used and I wanted to used the spaces on that specific VM to other VM instance, I tried looking for a way to do this and found out about this VMware vCenter Converter Standalone. The issue is this one, when I try to perform configure machine and select the instances that I wanted to reconfigure I end up encountering an error "Reconfiguration is not supported for the selected source.

Kindly see the attached file of the issue I encountered. Your feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For exact problem you should look at worker.log, if the machine is Linux one - you can't do this.

From the other hand conversion of whole machine is expensive way to shrink disk(s), try disk management inside ESX.

HTH

0 Kudos
skb13
Contributor
Contributor

I'm curious as to why Linux machines can't be reconfigured?  I'm trying to increase the size of my disk, and so I tried VMWare Workstation VM settings and it said "You can't do this to a machine with snapshots.  So either delete the snapshots, or use vCentre Converter".  I installed vCentre Converter and it says "reconfiguration is not supported...." 

The one thing I really don't want to do when doing something as drastic as increasing the disk size is deleting snapshots.  Why does it have to be so difficult?

0 Kudos