VMware Cloud Community
miiiinh
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Converter issues: randomly wakes up/power on computer

I'm running a vista ultimate 64-bit system, after I installed vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0, my PC would wakes up a few minutes after going into sleep or hibernation mode, then would go back into sleep mode moments later, then wakes up again.....cycle continues.

Computer also turns on automatically shortly after Start>Shut down.

Event viewer shows Wake Source: RTC

running the command powercfg -lastwake

Wake History Count -1

Wake History

Wake Source Count -1

Wake Source

Type: Fixed Feature

Timer Expired (RTC)

so the vcenter converter is somehow messing with the real time clock? how can this be fixed? (FYI, RTC wake option is disabled in the bios)

also, when trying to uninstall i get this error:

Error 1321. The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone\ssl\rui.key

I had to use System Restore to get rid of it, which also fixes the original problem.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
zkeown
Contributor
Contributor

I thought this was worth documenting... I was having the same uninstaller issue. I went to the rui.key file mentioned in the error at C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\ssl\ and added the "ComputerName\Users" group to the security on rui.key and the uninstaller ran successfully.

Also on 64-bit Vista BTW.

0 Kudos
cybernetics
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same uninstaller issue but i could not find any ssl subdirectory. I started the VMware-converter-4.0.0-146302.exe installer again and selected Remove. This worked fine.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The unexpected-wakes-up problem will be fixed in future release. Could you attach the install's log in order to investigate the issue? The logs are located in %temp% folder.

0 Kudos
cybernetics
Contributor
Contributor

Hi POCEH,

Just to clarify; I did not have the "unexpected-wakes-up problem", only problem un-installing.

I did remove it and reinstall again and I still cannot see any

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\SSL subdirectory.

I am running English "Windows Vista Professional SP1" x86 version with 3GB ram.

The vmconvservermsi.log and vminst.log (the smaller) files attached are before uninstall.

I try uninstall from control panel>programs and features.

I have UAC active and get a question to allow it to run as administrator.

Then, I get

"Error 1321. The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file c:\ProgramData\VMware\VMwervCenter Coverter Standalone\ssl\rui.key"

(now that I was typing it I notice C:\ProgramData...being the directory).

I do have a hidden C:\ProgramData... and a ssl subdirectory there with rui.key and rui.crt but it stil doesn-t work.

I attach a second vminst.log file amd MSI26479.log from after the uninstall attempt.

Regards,

Mats Sjöberg

Phone: +46 8 470 3921

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for logs, we'll investigate the problem.

0 Kudos
JasonInLasVegas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have exactly the same problem with Error 1321 and being unable to uninstall the vCenter Converter Stand Alone.

Please update the status on the repair fo this bug....

0 Kudos
JasonInLasVegas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did it!

I got into the "hidden ProgramData" folder and into the requisite ssl\ subfolder for vConverter. Then I added a specific Administrator user account into the Full Control priv list. Even though both the SYSTEM and Administrators groups already had Full Control, and this user was already a member of the group, somehow adding them specifically was sufficient to allow the uninstall to complete without error.

So, If that helps anyone, good for all of us; if VMWare can take those insights and translate that into a patch for Converter Stand-Alone, even better!

Regards, in all cases,

0 Kudos