VMware Cloud Community
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Converter for Linux.

Hello,

Why vCenter Converter not exist for linux? How to convert a physical Linux server to virtual server?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you why there's no native Linux based converter. However, you can run the Converter from a Windows host to convert a supported remote (physical) Linux system.

André

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

You don't need to a vCenter converter for Linux systems. Just install it on your windows client, then target your physical Linux server and provide the root credentials and of course, configure the Linux firewall to permit communication between them. I did it many times successfully for most of Linux distributions ...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
vwaghule
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can surely use converter to perform p2v of linux machines.

Please check below documents,

Select a Powered On Linux Machine to Convert

https://www.vladan.fr/how-to-p2v-linux-into-vmware-esx-server/

0 Kudos
astecnica
Contributor
Contributor

como fazer?

0 Kudos
AjayRKumar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Team,

While converting the Linux (Physical Server, CentOS 7 Powered On, GRUB Loader) to vSphere, error thrown as "failed to connect ISO to remote VM". Have anyone experienced the above error? Attaching the snap of the error.

0 Kudos
sdtslmn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may want to try stopping the automated installation of VMware Tools during the conversion process if you are using VMware vCenter Converter for this operation. If so, the problem may be due to the automatic installation of VMware Tools on the converted VM.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is a matter of network connectivity. What are the versions of the vCenter Server (or ESXi if the conversion is directly to it) and of the Converter installation?

0 Kudos
AjayRKumar
Contributor
Contributor

@patanassov ESXI version 7 and the convertor version 6.4. Source: Physical Linux CentOS 7

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, thanks
Converter server attaches the helper ISO image to the destination ESXi host. It uses port 902 to connect (i.e. you need this port to be allowed for that connection). See https://docs.vmware.com/en/vCenter-Converter-Standalone/6.4/vcenter-converter/GUID-4814B6B2-12A4-4E6...
I was asking about the version, because in ESXi 8.0 and above this process starts to use port 443.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
AjayRKumar
Contributor
Contributor

hello @plamen_d ,,

Thank you for the clarifications. Will try and share the update/ feedback.

0 Kudos
cstefanc
Contributor
Contributor

There's no vmware converter for Linux simply because vmware doesn't want it, for various reasons. Most probably they don't want the headache of maintaining a Linux version because there aren't too many people working exclusively on Linux and it would add to the cost up, too. Too bad though.

0 Kudos