VMware Cloud Community
vmware20100820
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Converter Standalone issue

Hi

I'm trying to run vCenter Converter Standalone to convert some linux servers to VMs.

I tried with various configurations (Windows 7, Windows 10), running it as admin or normal user BUT i allways get a "Unable to create virtual machine TEST for the following reason : Received SOAP response fault from [...] createVM Permission to perform this operation was denied"

I tried to google a bit, found some infor abour disabling UAC or running the Converter as Admin but without any result.

As the message is really non-explicit (thanks !), I need some help now...

Thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

The permissions mentioned in the error message pertain to the vSphere account used to create the destination VM, not to the account used at the machine where Converter is installed.

The third point in a.p.'s answer above is about the same account.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the Converter Standalone area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

some more details may be helpful.

1. Converter version/build
  2. ESXi (or vCenter Server) host version/build (on which you want to create the VM)
  3. does the account that you use have sufficient permissions to create VMs?
  4. in case that you are using an ESXi host the a target, verify that "Lockdown" mode is not enabled.

André

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

The permissions mentioned in the error message pertain to the vSphere account used to create the destination VM, not to the account used at the machine where Converter is installed.

The third point in a.p.'s answer above is about the same account.

Regards

0 Kudos
vmware20100820
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes it was a permission issue

Thx

Then I had a licence issue...

It's a pity the good error message is not displayed by vCenter...

0 Kudos