VMware Cloud Community
Very_Lost
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Converter Standalone broken after Update 4 to Virtual Center

Group,

I am having issues after I have updated both the converter and Virtual Center to V.4. During step 2 in the conversion process, I get the following message:

Unable to contact the specified host "server" from the Converter Agent machine. This might be because the host is not available on the network, there is a network configuration problem, or the management services on this host are not responding. Please verify that all Converter components are able to connect to "server".

Virtual Center appears to be fully operational and the hosts are connected to VC. I can everything, but convert.

Thoughts?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

here's a good KB worth taking a look at if you haven't seen it.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010056

0 Kudos
Very_Lost
Contributor
Contributor

I have verified that SSH, the ACLs are not in place, etc.. The converter was working until Update 4. SO, none of these suggestions really apply.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried to remove the plugin and reinstall again?

0 Kudos
Very_Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Okay.. I have disabled the plug-in Virtual Center. However, I am having issues using the standalone converter on my desktop.

I have also done a repair on the VC and standalone installs.

Same result

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what is the source you are trying to convert and what is the destination? Have you tried installing the standalone converter on the source itself and running it from there?

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

If you are trying to use Converter Standalone 4.0 with VC/ESX 4.0, then you should update Converter Standalone to 4.0.1, since that is the version that supports VC/ESX 4.0.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
gsfdajewgp
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue! I've tried everything I could find in all the previouse threads back to 2007 threads. It worked like a charm from 4.0 and earlier...I am now using an older "3. something" boot CD to convert...

"The More I use VM the less I can belive the price we paid for such ALFA code!!!"

“Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"
0 Kudos
Very_Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing has worked at this point. I am now trying to use other tools, such as vConvert by Vizioncore.

Limited Success!

0 Kudos
treay
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and it started working after I added the fqdn and entered a host record on the converter station.

0 Kudos
Umara
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same issue, I used the IP address of the destination server instead of the name and it worked.

0 Kudos