VMware Cloud Community
za_mkh
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Converter Installation Fails - "fails to register the application"

I've been googling/binging this, and it appears that the issue is definitely tied to very complex passwords. But how do I get around it.

So I am trying to install Convert on my VC Server. When prompted for the vCenter details, I enter the correct details including the service account that we use for vCenter. This is in a Windows 2003 Domain.

I get "failed to register application".

Note: I am logged in as the service account and vCenter working properly. Update Manager installed on a seperate VM works and installed properly using the same service account.

So If I choose my domain account (which has full admin privleges in vCenter) I can proceed to the next part of the installation but when using the vCenter account we created it doesn't. Now I definitely don't want to use my credentials for the vCenter Converter installation. So what to do? But I don't want to change my password.

<RANT ON> Why hasn't VMWare sorted this out with vSphere? They seriously do want lots of money from us for licences but can't solve a simple problem (for them!!)<RANT OFF>

The vCenter password is complex and is referenced here: but like I say ... I don't want to change the password.

Any workarounds? I was thinking of a vCenterConverter Service Account, but don't want that too!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try installing again or do a repair on Vcenter converter.

We did install again just the Vconverter piece and it was successfull,

0 Kudos
za_mkh
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to install it for the first time. We ditched our old VI 3.5 vCenter server. our vSphere vCenter server infrastructure is using our 'best' practices for securtiy, hence the reason for me not wanting to change the password.

0 Kudos