VMware Cloud Community
jkurcz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Converter 6.3 Beta ESXi 5.5 to ESXi 7.0

Hello,
I am currently running an ESXi Host 5.5 host on some older hardware. I have purchased a new server and have ESXi 7.0 installed on it. My question is, Can I use the vCenter Converter 6.3 Beta to migrate the guests from the old 5.5 server to the new 7.0 without any issues? Has anyone here tried this?

I am planning to shut down each guest before the migration, I'm just trying to anticipate any possible issues before I do this as it is our production server. I know VMWare no longer supports 5.5 or has the converter tool to do this, so I'm wondering if this tool will work for those older guests.

The guests are all different OS's from Windows to Linux.

Also, does it matter if theres snapshots? Will it bring the snapshots over as well or just consolidate as it migrates? I don't need the snapshots anyways.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jkurcz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I just wanted to let anyone who may be looking for this answer that I was able to successfully migrate 6 VM guests on an old ESXi 5.5 to 7.3 without any issues at all. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
shaokat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not sure about this. but you can try HCX for Migrate 5.5 to 7.x

Shaokat

https://www.linkedin.com/in/shaokat-ullaha/
0 Kudos
muakhtar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For Migration STARWIND P2V Tool

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-v2v-converter

Munib Akhtar
VCP-DCV/VCP-DTM/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you

Munib Akhtar
VCP-DCV/VCP-DTM/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jkurcz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I just wanted to let anyone who may be looking for this answer that I was able to successfully migrate 6 VM guests on an old ESXi 5.5 to 7.3 without any issues at all. 

0 Kudos
Mohmady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you use vCenetr Converter?

0 Kudos