VMware Cloud Community
CraigPA
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Converter 5.1 - Can you use command line to interface with it?

I am in the process of upgrading from vCenter 4.0 to vCenter 5.1 Update 1.   I have P2V conversions scheduled to run once a week as a back up source.  I know that scheduling has been removed from 5.1, however, in 4.0, I could also command line the P2V conversion. 

I am unable to get the P2V conversion to work in 5.1 converter.  Is there a way to P2V convert using the command line interface?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm confused if 5.1 converter is not working why do you think it would work via command line?

0 Kudos
CraigPA
Contributor
Contributor

I have 5.1 Update 1 version: 5.1.0 Build 1123961   vCenter working with SSO & Update Manager.

Also, I can use the GUI VMware vCenter Converter Standalone version 5.1.0 build-1087880 to do P2V's.  And they load in vCenter just fine.

I'm just not able to use the command line to do P2V's.  Is there a tutorial on the command line?  or a Step by Step guide to use it? 

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is no command line tools to control conversion, however there is SDK for Converter: http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/developer/forums/convertersdk

HTH

0 Kudos
CraigPA
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried using the SDK with no luck, is there anywhere that has better documentation to get it to work?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are samples included in SDK and HTML documentation. You can post question in SDK forum.

0 Kudos