VMware Cloud Community
JDDD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 5.5 - Grub error hot-cloning Ubuntu 12.04

Hi All--

I am having quite a time hot-cloning an Ubuntu 12.04 VM from one vHost to another vHost.

Both vHosts are running ESXi 5.0.0 build 623860.  I am using the VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone Client 5.5 build-1362012.  The VM in question is running Ubuntu 12.04.2.  The VM is using LVM, which I have read may have an impact.

When running the converter, I get to 97-99% done, then get the error as follows:

an error occured during the conversion: grubinstaller::installgrub: /usr/lib/vmware-converter/installgrub.sh failed with return code: 126, and message: chroot: can't execute '/vmware-updategrub.sh': exec format error

error running vmware-updategrub.sh through chroot into /mnt/p2v-src-root

/usr/lib/vmware-converter/installgrub.sh: line 143: /mnt/p2v-src-root: is a directory

I have looked all over trying to find anyone that has received that exact error message, but cannot.  I have tried the steps outlined here but have been unsuccessful.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205262...

If anyone has any insight into why this error is occuring, how to fix it, etc, it would be greatly appreciated!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JDDD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well... I finally went ahead and rebuilt the server on which vCenter Converter Standalone was running.  I then did a fresh install of the converter and reran the task and all went well.  I think it might have been an issue of the wrong version *.iso being mounted as the converter helper.  I had to keep manually mounting the iso to the new VM and boot before it would actually go through, and occasionally i would get prompted for "converter login" credentials.

I will chalk this up to a bad upgrade/install/accumulated junk on the vCenter system.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JDDD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well... I finally went ahead and rebuilt the server on which vCenter Converter Standalone was running.  I then did a fresh install of the converter and reran the task and all went well.  I think it might have been an issue of the wrong version *.iso being mounted as the converter helper.  I had to keep manually mounting the iso to the new VM and boot before it would actually go through, and occasionally i would get prompted for "converter login" credentials.

I will chalk this up to a bad upgrade/install/accumulated junk on the vCenter system.

0 Kudos