VMware Cloud Community
wangxl7087
Contributor
Contributor

use vcenter converter standalone to p2v failed

Dear everyone

my physical computer is install windows server 20003 sp2 standard edition,now i want to conver it to VM on vmware vsphere .when started conver ,it has a issue below

捕获.JPG

my vcenter converter standalone version is 6.1.1

physical computer's agent is manual installed (can not push install from vcenter converter standalone server)

i also restart the source computer after install agent

now i have no ideal for this issue

so can anyone help me to resolve this issue,?thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried to start the vstor driver manually ?

0 Kudos
wangxl7087
Contributor
Contributor

Dear continuum

how can i start the vstor driver manually?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Look up the name of the service in registry. It may look similar to this
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\vstor2-mntapi20-shared
Then open a cmd and run
net start vstor2-mntapi20-shared

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

Did this ever get resolved?  I have the same issue.  I'm trying to P2V a MS DPM server but am also getting the "Missing Vstor2 driver or not started" error.

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

I did not see the vstor2-mntapi20-shared service under ControlSet001.  However, I searched the registry and found it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\vstor2-mntapi20-shared.  But when I ran "net start vstor2-mntapi20-shared" it says "The service name is invalid"

Advice please???

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

Update....

Sorry, I forgot that I uninstalled the agent yesterday.

So I reinstalled the agent and the service is still in ControlSet002 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\vstor2-mntapi20-shared).  I ran "net start vstor2-mntapi20-shared" (from an elevated CMD prompt) but the service is already running.  I ran the conversion and it still fails with the "Missing Vstor2 driver or not started" error.

I need some ideas please!!  🙂

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

Update 2....

I uninstalled the agent and reinstalled locally (vs. from the converter) by copying the VMware-Converter-Agent.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone on the system where the converter is running and running with elevated priviledge/as admin.  This placed the service in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vstor2-mntapi20-shared & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\vstor2-mntapi20-shared paths.   Unfortuantely, I'm still getting the same error message.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

Please upload the agent log file for examination.It is not obvious where this error comes from.

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hoping you're looking for the log export from the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone job.  If so, see attached.

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

@

Have you have a chance to look at that log?  I'm dying here 🙂

Thanks, in advance,

Dave

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Dave,

Sorry to have forgotten this.

I think you can try reinstalling converter server (not the agent on the source). First uninstall it, ensure vstor driver has been uninstalled (perhaps reboot the machine), and then install anew.

Crossing fingers this helps.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

Oooooo......  I uninstalled/reinstalled & it's running now !!  1%!!

I'll follow up with results 🙂

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

P2V completed as expected!  Thank you Plamen

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Great. Glad to have helped.

You may mark the answer as correct answer, btw.

0 Kudos
DaveDicken
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, but not seeing that option.  Plus I'm not the originator or the question.  Maybe that's why I can't mark it as the correct answer??  Either way, hoping this help them as well.

-Dave

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ah, yes. I forgot it's not your question originally.

Marking as helpful is good. too. That's not so important anyway.

0 Kudos
jaspreet1003
Contributor
Contributor

FIXED.

1. Uninstall VMWare vCenter converter.

2. Reboot the computer.

3. Reinstall VMWare vCenter converter in standaloone mode (may work in client-server mode but I haven't tested)

4. Try again.

0 Kudos
gparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I just came upon the same issue! I've installed Converter Standalone on several servers (I'm not doing the client-server method) and they've all been syncing fine up until last weekend when all of them failed with this vstor2 driver missing or not running error. 

I did allot of digging today and noticed one thing in common on all the servers that failed with the “missing vstor2 driver….” message and that is that all of them had received a new/updated version of the "Backup Manager" software last Friday that the customer uses for their server backups. In doing some further digging, I discovered that both VMware Converter and Backup Manager use this vstor2 driver and I’m thinking that the Backup Manager upgrade replaced the vstor2 driver, making VMware Converter unable to use it?

I hate having to uninstall & reinstall Converter because it means I have to run fresh full syncs on them again and some of them are very large.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

vstor2 driver is probably flagged as malware in some security tools.
Either you disable your security-tools or use a different way to transport the diskimage.
I prefer ddrescue - its not the fastest transport tool but the most reliable.

Ulli

0 Kudos