VMware Cloud Community
stodola
Contributor
Contributor

unable to update BCD converting windows 10 machine to vm

I am using the latest version of vmConverter standalone.  I am trying to convert my windows 10 machine to vm.

It is failing with warning: unable to update BCD on destination machines system volume.

I have disabled all services on my machine, that did not work

My Windows machine is running fine. Also, I noticed that the converter only allows for Version 11 of VMWare. I am now using VMWare workstation 12, could that be a problem?

Thanks

8 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The hardware version is nothing with BCD... In some Windows-es BCD is in an unrecognizable by Converter format, please upload log to check.

0 Kudos
chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi POCEH

I have the same issue, I'm trying to virtualize my current windows 10 machine, but it fails on 98% where its trying to reconfigure the machine's BCD.

I've attached the log for your reference Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are many conversions here...

However the last P2V conversion couldn't reconfig VM because you skip active (i.e. bootable) volume from conversion.

HTH

Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I hope this issue is resolved in other thread.

POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've no idea where Smiley Happy

It's strange to log one error in different threads, is it?

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

it is Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gbalis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Poceh, I understand that this is an old thread but it seems I have the exact same issue. Attaching logs.

0 Kudos
WhipMeister
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. A clue may be upstream in the log from the error entry when 

"Warning: Skipping file '\\?\Volume{651f5df1-a051-40ce-9fa8-1aa02e7d49f7}\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD' on volume '\\?\Volume{651f5df1-a051-40ce-9fa8-1aa02e7d49f7}\' because it is locked."

is logged since the later error complains about BCD?

Sure would appreciate some guidance to a solution. It appears that it's not an uncommon problem.

0 Kudos