VMware Cloud Community
kernelphr34k
Contributor
Contributor

unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine in latest Converter

1. I'm trying to create a dedicated user and or role used for cloning from my env to another.
  2. I would like to make a role, then be able to apply this role to any user/group against any VM that may want to clone in the future.

Env Specs:

• vCenter 2.5.0 Build 227637
  • ESX 3.5.0 Build: 317866 -- I have 8 of these in my env.
  • Converter 5.0 build 470252
  • Ubuntu Linux x32 VM--Trying to clone (fails on windows with same error)
  • Large AD environment

• My user account has no issues cloning/converting etc.
      • I'm using this account to create my new user/role.
      • This account was added to the top-level 'Hosts & Clusters' as administrator with propagation.

Troubleshooting:

1. I have created a new user on my vCenter machine called 'testusr'
      1. I have removed all groups from user account.
    2. Within the VI client I have cloned the admin role, and made a role called 'Cloning' which has some adjustments for less permissions.
      1. I have assigned 'testusr' to the 'Cloning' role to a single Linux VM.
    3. When I login to converter and select the source as the Linux VM and hit next is when I get the error in title.
      1. I have changed the role to administrator and get the same results.

1. If I add 'testusr' with the administrator role to the top-level 'Hosts & Clusters' with propagation I'm able to clone.
    2. If I add 'testusr' too a single ESX server with the administrator role I get the same error.
      1. Why does this give me the same error??? Buuugggg?
    3. If I add 'testusr' too a single VM with the administrator role I get the same error.

1. How do I add a single user/group with restrictive permmissions to a single VM and NOT get this error?
      • Changing the OS type does not help.
      • Restarting converter services does nothing.
      • A reboot does nothing.

I'm reading over the Managing VMware VirtualCenter Roles and Permissions pdf, I'm also reading thru a book "esx server in the enterprise" yet I can't seem to find a solution or any mention of the problem.

Can someone please help with this irratating issue? Do you need more info? Please help!!

0 Kudos
    6 Replies
    patanassov
    VMware Employee
    VMware Employee

Hello kernelphr34k,

Follows a sample list of what privileges needed for performing conversions (w/o guarantee). Different privileges are needed for different situation, but this should be a kind of union of what is needed, may be a little more.

HTH,
    Plamen

Role privileges.PNG

0 Kudos
    kernelphr34k
    Contributor
    Contributor

Hello patanassov!

Thanks for the help, but there is alot of opions that I don't have. You must be using vSphere?

This is straight ESX 3.5.... Smiley Happy Old school.. yes!

Tried to copy what I could from your screenshot. Save the new role, tried again.. Same error. Smiley Sad

Thanks for trying!

0 Kudos
    kernelphr34k
    Contributor
    Contributor

Should I contact supporrt about this issue? Seems like a bug to me.

0 Kudos
    patanassov
    VMware Employee
    VMware Employee

Hello

I found a similar environment today (VC 2.5.0 with an ESX 3.0.3 in it) and tried it but didn't reproduce the error. What I am doing with permissions is the following:
      - add user 'user' with 'read-only' role at datacenter level
      - add user 'user' with 'Administrator' role at VM level
    I was able to start a conversion of this VM with Converter 5.0. It does give an 'Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine' error when selecting another VM as source.
    Then I added a role 'Converter' with the following privileges:
      Datastore - Browse Datastore
      Host - Local Operations - Create VM
      Host - Local Operations - Delete VM
      Virtual Machine (everything)
      Reource - Assign VM to Resource Pool
    and was successful again.

HTH,
    Plamen

kernelphr34k
    Contributor
    Contributor

That basically works! Smiley Happy

Thank you patanassov for you're continued assistance!

I was really trying not to have my user see any of the other ESX servers or VM's they dont have access too. When I tried to set no access on hosts and clusters, and then set admin role on the VM I saw the error. If I set hosts and clusters as you did everything works.

So the parent role that's on all the datacenter over rules what's done on the object? Think that's how it works.

Basically this has been addressed even tho I'm not 100% happy, but will mark as solved!

0 Kudos
    patanassov
    VMware Employee
    VMware Employee

Hello again. Glad to read it has worked out 🙂

I have erroneously assumed you must have read-only permissions at datacenter level because I didn't see the VM at all in the inventory in host-and-clusters view (but it shows in VMs-and templates). I managed with your permissions setup to reproduce it in vSphere 5.0.

The additional trick is to add read only permissions on the VM network the source VM is assigned to. I suppose this should work also for VC 2.5.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos