VMware Cloud Community
jarends3
Contributor
Contributor

unable to determine guest operating system

I'm trying to virtualize my XP desktop machine. I installed the vmware converter, and when attempting to convert my local machine, I get an error that says unable to determine guest operating system.

My boot.ini file on my XP desktop follows:

\[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

\[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

This is not an unusual system by any means so I don't get what the problem is.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What is in partition(1)? Converter will attempt to detect the first OS listed by partition number.

0 Kudos
jarends3
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like partition 1 is a hidden Dell partition.

Is there a way I can point Converter to ignore it and try looking at the next partition?

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

When you are selecting disks (and partitions) make sure it isn't checked.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
jarends3
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not getting far enough where I can select the disk I want.

I say 'physical machine' then 'this machine' and click next, and that is when it tells me it is unable to determine the OS type.

0 Kudos
VictorE
Contributor
Contributor

Hello jarends3, i'm running into the same problem p2v-ing a win2k server. Have you found a solution?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Edit the boot.ini of your physical machine using Windows Explorer and try running Converter again. Don't forget to edit the partition number back to the original after you are done running Converter.

0 Kudos
Goatie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem, except it's from a LiveState image.

Changing the partition number in the boot.ini is not an option for me as the image is already there.

The source server has the following disk configuration:

Disk 0::

Partition(1) = Hidden vendor partition

Partition(2) = System/boot partition (C drive)

Partition(3) = Extended Partition :: Application install disk (D drive)

Initially we had only the C drive LiveState imaged, this Converted fine. we had to mount the vmdk to another VM and change the boot ini to Partition(1) and it was fine after that.

Now we have the D drive in the same LiveState image as the C drive. Now I'm getting the "Unable to determine guest operating system" error and I cannot recover the image.

Any ideas?

(I'm waiting for my maintenance to get fixed up and I'll log a SR once that's up and running.... but for the time being... any help!??!?!)

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos
mkolling
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I am getting the same problem, here is the boot.ini contents:-

\[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

\[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

Is there anything wrong with this?

Its a VPC images I am trying to convert.

MIke

0 Kudos
Goatie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is my boot.ini

\[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT

\[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I have not tried any VirtualPC converts, so I cannot help Mike.

0 Kudos
Atempo_Dave
Contributor
Contributor

I was using the "VMWare Converter" version 3.0.0 - it was the free download.

The system I was trying to convert is a Win2k SP4 w/ Exchange 5.5 & Active Directory, DHCP & WINS - and mirrored system disks (Drive F: was the boot disk, and it was partition 1).

In my case, the key turned out to be the Windows mirrored system disk.

I was getting the "Unable to determaine Guest Operating System" when I tried to run the Converter - It would get to the point where is asked for wheather it was a local machine and the login, then the next screen would be the error message.

After reading one of the other posts, I unplugged the slave drive from the IDE controller and rebooted. Without changing anything else, I ran the converter with no problems.

I have not run the image on VMWare Server yet.

0 Kudos
SamTzu
Contributor
Contributor

LOL

It's NOT the boot.ini file!!!

Remove your USB disk and voila.

This is so insane...

Sam

0 Kudos
Todaysits
Contributor
Contributor

I found that the only way this would work, is to move the vmdk to my local harddrive and register it in my VMWare Server locally. If I just pointed to a random .vmx file on the network, it could never determine the type of O/S.

0 Kudos
Sunnybg
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I edited the boot.ini file, but it did not work again.

I also tried to "cheat" a little bit - I created a Norton Ghost image of drive C:, and then tried the converter on the image - exactly the same problem. I created 2 images - both with edited and the original boot.ini. Same problem.

I have the same layout - first partition is some Dell system partition, and the second one is the Windows 2000 partition.

0 Kudos
ramanverma
Contributor
Contributor

Well, i was facing same issue and found that USB mass storage controller was the culprit in my case.

I disabled all USB devices in Device manager and bang..it works fine and doesnt give that stupid error again.

0 Kudos
giupug
Contributor
Contributor

If your system has a mirror configured then try to break that mirror

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Goatie, what version of LiveState? verify it is supported http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual301.pdf

jarends3, install directly to the local machine as the local admin and try again...

be sure you do not have any software mirrors or else you will need to break them

0 Kudos
iain_doogan
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem disconnected usb floppy (no reboot) worked straight away ?????

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

keep in mind converter will pool together a list of volume IDs and match it against the boot.ini file. your usb volumes are throwing it off.

if ever you get cant determine guest os errors, try to rid as much out of the equation to lesson error possibilities such as removing usb devices and the floppy drive. you could even go as far as disconnecting the cdrom

other causes is software mirrors/raids or any form of fault tolerance for NT4 machines

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here are some important things to read before using Converter

http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv301.html#issues

maybe something in here can help...

Celia.-
0 Kudos