VMware Cloud Community
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault 97% 100% ---- p2v failure

I spent a lot of time this evening trying to figure out why I couldn't convert a physical server to a VM using the latest VMware Converter Build (44840). The import would appear to work, but at the end of the import process, at either 97% or 100% the import would fail with an unknown cause. The logs reported this error:

sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault

I browsed through threads and tried many different possible solutions, clearing the registry of some specific values, checking for dynamic disks, ensuring that all the necessary services were started, stopping unnecessary services etc. In the end what fixed the issue was adding driver.cab and sp1.cab (which were missing from my system ) to c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386 from another server ( same SP & patches installed ) where they \*did* exist.

It was extremely frustrating which is why I'm posting this here in hopes that at least one other person won't have to feel my pain.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you confirm that your source machine was Windows 2003 Server SP1?

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Indeed it was.

0 Kudos
mbierly
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I've made countless attempts at converting a local machine and read so many forum posts all to no avail until I came to yours.

This worked perfectly!

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

I can confirm that this is also an issue when using either Parallels Compressor and Invirtus products that remove the driver cache. By deselecting the option to remove the driver cache in these products leads to successful conversions.

0 Kudos
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem on a windows 2000 sp4 server that I am try to convert. the files are arleady located at winnt\drivers cache\i386

0 Kudos
gshadowens
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem. 100% p2v failure on a Citrix Server (W2kAdv). Any clues?? Tried everything from above.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Clear the commports from the registry

1) On the source host, open regedit

2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM

3) Export the key for backup-archive-restore purposes

4) Delete CcmPort3 thru CcmPort9

5) Retry the migration

0 Kudos
ggray127
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You!! I have been going thru the same issue with the conversion getting to 97% and then stopping with no real reason according to the logs. I put in those files and the next coversion finished ok and the application is happly running on the image.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sounds like you are using a year old version of converter. The com port issue was corrected in updated releases

www.vmware.com/downloads/converter/

version: (as of today) 3.0.2-u1

0 Kudos