VMware Cloud Community
olano
Contributor
Contributor

standalone converter failed with window's error "delayed write failed"

Hi

I have used VMware converter standalone 4.0.1 to convert my VMs. But the conversion often failed with window's error" delayed write failed". This usually happened at the begining or ending the conversion: during reading the source hardware information, before cloning hard disk, or at reconfiguring or customizing the new VM.....Are there any one know what's the problem? My converter is on W2K3 sp2 system. And I have tried to install the converter on another VM and got the same error.

Here is the error log:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: vstor2-mntapi

Event Category: (2)

Event ID: 57

Date: 3/23/2010

Time: 3:56:52 PM

User: N/A

Computer: TKIMINFOMC06

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 57 ) in Source ( vstor2-mntapi ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .

Data:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Application Popup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 26

Date: 3/23/2010

Time: 3:56:52 PM

User: N/A

Computer: TKIMINFOMC06

Description:

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\vstor2-mntapi10-DB31DB31007E00000000000053000000\$BitMap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Are there anyone can give me some help?

Lan

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Can you describe your setup in more detail? Standalone Converter 4.0.1 running on Windows 2003 SP2, but what about the hardware it is installed on?

Do you see any other errors in the Event Viewer that might suggest that there are hardware problems?

Where is the source system and what network infrastructure is between them (including speeds)?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I would expect "delayed write failed" errors when the network connection is unreliable - or when using a local target to store the VM - the disk is bad ...

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
olano
Contributor
Contributor

Hello vmroyale,

The hardware which the converter is installed is Intel Xeon CPU 2*3.00Ghz, 4G Memory, 70G hard disk.

I have checked the system event logs but I haven't found any event of hardware problems.

My source system is a virtual machine which is hosted on one ESX3.5 host on old VI3 environment, and the target is one ESX4.0 host on new vsphere environment. The application network of ESX3.5 host is 1000G and full and that on of ESX4.0 host is 1000G and full too.

Lan

0 Kudos
olano
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Here is what I found in the converter logs:

Error 3 (error loading hive: The system cannot find the path specified (3)) loading temporary hive
.\vstor2-mntapi10-DB31DB31007E00000000000063000000
Boot\BCD under key name mntApi72792617830068713.

Unable to load registry hive
Boot\BCD, error 0x3.

Error reading boot.ini file
boot.ini

boot.ini:

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Error parsing arc name C:

Registry hive
.\vstor2-mntapi10-DB31DB31007E00000000000063000000\WINDOWS\system32\config\SOFTWARE is loaded under the name mntApi74480096230068713

CurrentType key is Multiprocessor Free

Error 2 opening key mntApi74480096230068713\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Error 2 reading 64 bit info, probably not a 64 bit system

product name is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2

Registry hive
.\vstor2-mntapi10-DB31DB31007E00000000000063000000\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM is loaded under the name mntApi76698817830068713

NfcNetTcpRead: bRead: -1

NfcFssrvrRecv: failed with code = 8

NfcFssrvr_DiskIo: failed to receive io reply

NfcNetTcpWrite: bWritten: -1

NfcFssrvrSend: failed

NfcFssrvr_DiskIo: failed to send io message

DISKLIB-SPARSE: Failed to read grain from parent: NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT (2338)

DISKLIB-LIB : RWv failed ioId: #64447 (2338) (34) .

Vmount library: Error 2338 while while writing to device

Can you give me further help?

Lan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you better remove this line from your boot.ini

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Converter does not handle such lines welll

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
olano
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have removed this line from my source boot.ini

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons. But it doesn't work.

Any further suggestion?

And if you install vmware standalone converter with the same server which Vcenter4.0 is installed? if there is any conflicts?

Lan

0 Kudos
petr_hlavizna
Contributor
Contributor

This is an informative message sent by kerio.vitkovice.cz.

The server was not able to deliver your mail message

Subject: New message: "Re: standalone converter failed with win ...

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 22:19:39 -0700

to the following addresses:

<HLAVIZNA@vitkovice.cz> (kerio.vitkovice.cz: Antivirus check cannot be performed)

This is just a temporary error. The server will continue to attempt to deliver

the message. If the message cannot be delivered in the defined time limit you will

be informed again.

0 Kudos
olano
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Do you know what cause this temporary error and how to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Lan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

My source system is a virtual machine which is hosted on one ESX3.5 host on old VI3 environment, and the target is one ESX4.0 host on new vsphere environment.

Then you do not need Converter at all - did you try to move the VMs with other methods like FastSCP for example ?

0 Kudos
olano
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos