VMware Cloud Community
Marc_Alumbaugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

scsiport.sys - still getting errors

I'm using the latest build 36853.

Trying to do a local Windows 2000 Pro machine.

It's stopping at the locating file dialog.

Wants scsiport.sys version 5.0.2195.7017

This file does exist on this machine in the system32\drivers directory.

The version there is 5.00.2195.7017

Even if I point it to this file. It still fails.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Seems that there is something conflicting between the version number inside the file and what is listed in the registry.

If you have the luxury of accessing a Windows 2000 SP4 Post Rollup VM, I would grab that scsiport.sys file inside that VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It wants a specific version installed post SP4. It thinks the version you have is incorrect.

Try making a copy of the file and placing it in another directory to point at it.

0 Kudos
Marc_Alumbaugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I try to point it to the copy I'm getting this error and I can't get past this.

"This version (5.00.2195.7017) may cause problems in the destination computer. Please provide a different version of file scsiport.sys"

0 Kudos
rfunk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ran across the same issue, I used an older version of the scsiport.sys driver which was version 5.0.2195.6713 which worked ok. I found the file located in my c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386\ directory.

Hope this helps

Rick

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Seems that there is something conflicting between the version number inside the file and what is listed in the registry.

If you have the luxury of accessing a Windows 2000 SP4 Post Rollup VM, I would grab that scsiport.sys file inside that VM.

0 Kudos
Marc_Alumbaugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you know where I can download it from?

0 Kudos
Marc_Alumbaugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found the file on a machine that was already imported into ESX -

Thanks again for the suggestion

FYI - that version was 5.0.2195.7059

0 Kudos
rzeisler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The following information at http://tech.lazyllama.com/2006/05/10/how-to-tell-which-version-of-windows-2000-sp4-update-rollup-1-i... was helpful:

Microsoft released two versions of the Windows 2000 SP4 Update Rollup 1 package, one which can cause machines using SCSI to blue screen on reboot, and one which doesn’t.

Unfortunately they didn’t provide any easy way to tell the difference (like a version number on the installation executable). If you’re converting a machine to run with SCSI (or virtualizing it as I am), you need to know which version is installed.

Here’s how:-

Look for “scsiport.sys” in \WINNT\system32\drivers

The BROKEN version in v1 is dated 29 Dec 2004 and is version 5.0.2195.7017

The FIXED version in v2 is dated 14 Jul 2005 and is version 5.0.2195.7059

If you boot the system with a SCSI device using the BROKEN version it will blue screen.

You can fix it by copying back “scsiport.sys” from \WINNT\$ntupdaterolluppackuninstall$ to \WINNT\SYSTEM32\drivers while in the Recovery Console or WinPE. Then install the newer version of the Rollup which can be obtained from Microsoft.

0 Kudos
rzeisler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, after applying Win2K SP4 Rollup 1 Version 2, the import occurs without asking about scsiport.sys versions.

I then open the new VM and I get "no bootable device found" (It tries to do a netboot before failing and giving me a dialog box stating this).

I used the Win2K Install CD and entered recovery mode. I can see all the data on drive C just fine.

Does it have something to do with the physical machine being IDE and the new VM being SCSI? boot.ini type stuff?

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
TechFan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It could I guess. I had the same prompt for the file and just used the one from the servicepackfiles folder. . .my IDE server booted just fine after transfer.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. By default the new VM will be SCSI and therefore the appropriate driver is needed to support scsi.

0 Kudos
kcc001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm still having problems getting a converted 2000 Server to boot. I copied over scsiport.sys version 5.0.2195.7059 and booted, and get the error "Stop: c0000218 \{Registry File failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): Systemroot\System32\Config\Software or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable." When I boot off the .7017 version I get the error "Stop 0x0000001E Address 804A1C01 base at 80400000, Datestamp 45069e6e - ntoskrnl.exe". Any ideas?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Where are you copying this from and to? I assume from a working W2KSP4 VM to the VM in question?

0 Kudos
kcc001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, from a working physical 2000 Server w/ SP4. I used Converter 3.0 build 39557 to convert the physical to virtual.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to either make the new scsiport.sys file available to Converter when Converter asks for it, or you can try copying it to the unbootable VM from a working VM, not a physical machine.

0 Kudos
kcc001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I made version 5.0.2195.7059 available when I imported the physical server. I tried copying over versions 5.0.2195.7017 and 5.0.2195.6713 from other 2000 VMs, but I get the same BSOD..."Stop: c0000218 \{Registry File failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): Systemroot\System32\Config\Software or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable."

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try running Converter -> Configure on the VM that cannot boot.

0 Kudos
kcc001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried that again, still gets the same BSOD

0 Kudos
dannymc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you've got Workstation, try this (download an eval)

Convert the physical server to a standalone image.

Boot this image up using Workstation.

Make sure it boots OK. Should do as Workstation uses IDE emulation, not SCSI.

Install the VMWare tools.

shut this down and run the converter to migrate the standalone image file to ESX.

I've found this to work for Win2003 servers running on HP Blades, which are IDE based. Got a similar problem when converting direct to ESX, BSOD when powering up due to it trying to boot from SCSI.

It's a bit cumbersome, but if you're only doing once, it's worth it!

0 Kudos