VMware Cloud Community
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"unable to determine guest operating system" error on VMware Server

Source: XP virtual machine

Destination: not important as I cannot get that far in the wizard

Host: XP

I am trying to convert an existing XP virtual machine but when I first launch the wizard and select "Standalone virtual machine" as the source[/u] I receive the error "unable to determine guest operating system" as soon as I select the .vmx file on the local hard drive?

I cannot even get far enough to select any configuration options or the destination.

I am not sure why I receive this error as I'm running Converter against VM's created by the free VMware Server which is supported. Any idea where to begin???

BTW - I am using Converter 3.0.1 and VMware Server 1.0.3.

Message was edited by:

tWiZzLeR

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just to make sure, is Converter running on XP? It will give you this error if it is running on 2000 because your Converter machine needs to be running a higher than or equivalent OS as your source VM.

0 Kudos
Mal_S
Contributor
Contributor

I am receiving this error when trying to clone a physical windows 2000 pc

Looks like a simple enough job, just done 5 XP pcs with similar apps

Any idea why it happens or how to cure it

I cant find any logs created on the pc either

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to make sure, is Converter running on XP? It

will give you this error if it is running on 2000

because your Converter machine needs to be running a

higher than or equivalent OS as your source VM.

Yes, the host is XP SP2 as well as the VM that I am trying to convert. The only thing that I am wondering about is the fact that these VM's were originally crated in Workstation 5.x and then I switched to running them on the free VMware Server.

Any idea if this would make a difference?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No, Workstation 5.x and Server 1.x use the equivalent virtual hardware. Make sure the VM is powered off as well.

0 Kudos
gabriol82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

try to check out the "boot.ini" file.

If it doesn't exist you can create it ( copy and paste from another Windows XP )

0 Kudos
SamTzu
Contributor
Contributor

LOL

It's NOT the boot.ini file!!!

Remove your USB disk and voila.

This is so insane...

Sam

0 Kudos
jugle2much
Contributor
Contributor

It's not necessarily a USB disk drive either. I'm still hunting for a solution but have not come across one yet...

0 Kudos