VMware Cloud Community
jdona158
Contributor
Contributor

"Unknown Error - 97 percent - Failed" Issue

Has anyone received a definitive answer on this issue? There are several posts regarding this, all with different workarounds, but no standard solution. I have tried to import a physical machine to a virtual one several times now, all of which have failed. I always get the "Unknown error returned by VMWare Converter Agent" message, and the process always fails at 97 percent.

Do VMWare personnel monitor these boards? Are they aware of this issue? Can it be posted at a bug?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you resize the volumes? If so, try selecting the entire disk and not resize.

0 Kudos
dfahey
Contributor
Contributor

Yes we did. The problem is we are running low on space and need to increase the size of the disks. Is this able to be accomplished after the P2V?

0 Kudos
infuseweb
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same error. I was trying to resize the disks and ran into this error every time, but when I maintained the disk size instead of resizing it worked ok. Strange thing is I was able to resize other machines with no problem, granted with much smaller disks (around 20 GB versus 100 GB).

0 Kudos
tgwinn
Contributor
Contributor

After successfully converting six physical machines, I kept getting the 97% / "Unknown Error" problem on the seventh system. All are W2003SP1 of the same vintage, roughly the same physical config.

I tried both builds: 3.0.0.39557 and 3.0.1.44840.

I tried CHKDSK /F.

I verified only 1 COM port was in the registry.

I verified I had only basic disks, no dynamic disks.

Still errored.

I then used the two suggestions by panchen:

1) Use a local admin account if possible. Some AD policies prohibit installing/running new services. This is confusing because it can apply to domain admin users!

2) Did you resize the volumes? If so, try selecting the entire disk and not resize.

This solved my problem. It is unclear which was the culprit (or perhaps both?). I was previously logged in as a domain admin and should have had full rights since I didn't set up any special group policies on this particular domain. Therefore, I lean toward the resize as the culprit in my case. It is very odd that resizing was not a problem for any of the previous conversions.

0 Kudos
VMRulez
Contributor
Contributor

I've recently had succes in converting over 5 physical servers to virtual. On the 6th, I tried to seperate the volumes unto two virtual disks - the P2V failed miserably several times at 97% - RAID5 & sometimes RAID1 is a culprit here.

Here're are options that will help you get around this

• Convert P2V with full disks, clean it up and then perform a V2V if you categorically have to split the volumes

• Do a cold clone if your environment allows you to do this

• Simply convert the entire disk and deal with disk expansion issues when you have to

0 Kudos