VMware Cloud Community
eaalvare
Contributor
Contributor

"Failed:Input parameters provided are not compatible " when starting a p2v using VMware Converter Standalone 4.01 Build 161434

Hello-

Hope I am not the only one. I am trying to p2v a windows 2000 with sp4 using the new converter for VSphere support (
VMware Converter Standalone 4.01 Build 16143). When starting the job it installs the agent and when it tries to create the vm it errors out with the following error message " Failed:Input parameters provided are not compatible". Thinking that it installed the old agent , I uninstalled everything off my machine and reinstalled converter and removed the agent on the source server and removed any registry settings in the source machine. Tried the p2v job and still getting the error message. I also did it the other way around where I installed the agent locally and tried running it that way. Still the error message. I then proceeded on installing converter version 4.0 2009/02/12 build 146302 and that seemed to work, but the network connection is taking a very long time. The question is how to I get the p2v to work on the currently converter version?

Hope to hear from suggestions soon.

-Everett

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Goliath222
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

had the same message today, to me it was a User Rights problem from Converter to Virtual Center. Once I tried with Adminaccount it worked just fine. Trying to find out the proper right assignment now...

Regards

Oliver

0 Kudos
perry811
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same exact error. Can you post the solution what rights needed to be assinged for this to work? Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
bdawg20000
Contributor
Contributor

It is a permissions problem indeed. I have and ESXi box setup. I have a user that i want to be a power user on it so that created templates and sysprepped them but didn't want him to be able to start the templates but wanted to be able to run the converter on them to deploy new machines. So i set the following permissions on the templates VM.

Remove All permissions

Add Datastore >Allocate Space

Add Network > Assign Network and Configure

Resource > Assign Virtual machine to resource pool

All Tasks

Virtual machine > All Configuration

inventory > Create from existing, Create New, and Register

All Provisioning

permissions assigned to the datacenter and allowed to propogate down

Datacenter > Allocate Space

network > Assign Network

Resource > Assign Virtual machine to resource pool

All Tasks

Virtual machine > All configuration

Virtual machine > all interaction

Virtual machine > Inventory > All but remove and unregister

Virtual machine > all provisioning

Virtual machine > All state.

not you will need apply using roles. apply the role to the datacenter first then explicitly assign the role to the templates so that the templates don't have the inhertied permissions.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
skayser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We've also seen this error message and (in our case) traced it down to permission problems. The user in question had permissions on the datastore and the DC/VM level, but was lacking permissions on the network (vSwitch/PG) level.

0 Kudos