VMware Cloud Community
przemol10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Error: Unable to obtain the IP address of the destination virtual machine running the Converter helper server." with static IP address

Hi all,

I am trying to p2v linux 6.4. It fails with the following message:

Error: Unable to obtain the IP address of the destination virtual machine running the Converter helper server.

I saw discussion about this message but they all refer to dynamic IP address taken from DHCP while in my case I use static IP address.

While waiting for the p2v (which then fails ...) I open helper machine console and saw a message:

eth0 is not a recognized interface.

Can anybody tell me what is going on ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I suppose you use Converter 5.5. There is a new feature allowing selection of the network adapter. However this doesn't work well in case of Linux P2V. If you have changed the adapter type, use 'e1000' or 'auto' and try again.

HTH

Plamen

View solution in original post

2 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I suppose you use Converter 5.5. There is a new feature allowing selection of the network adapter. However this doesn't work well in case of Linux P2V. If you have changed the adapter type, use 'e1000' or 'auto' and try again.

HTH

Plamen

przemol10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

exactly - I use Converter 5.5. And when I changed NIC to auto it went further (I don't know if it won't fail doing something else since this physical is quite big ...)

but at least the data transfer process has been commenced.

Thanks a lot 🙂

0 Kudos