VMware Cloud Community
caleecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Cannot start service" error when installing Standalone Converter

[Note: I discovered question is probably more appropriate to  Home > VMTN > VMware vCenter™ > Converter Standalone. forum, but unable to figure out to move it so created a duplicate post in that forum.]

I am a first time user. Please let me know if this would be better posted elsewhere. Thank you.

I attempted to install VMware vCenter Standalone Client ver. 6.2 on my Dell 8700 PC running Windows 8.1.  I selected to do a local install only. The install failed with an error something like "The service could not be started."

I tried to remove installation, reboot, and install again. Same problem.

It seemed to finish installing so I am able to start the application. But I get the following error message:

pastedImage_0.png

I go to the services control panel and the server service is not running

pastedImage_1.png

When I try to manually start it, I get the following error:

pastedImage_2.png

When I look at the dependencies, there are none:

pastedImage_3.png

Please help!

39 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From logs I see that Converter Server crashes because local computer could be identified from IID_IADsComputer (lanmanworkstation).

Let's focus on starting lanmanworkstation service: do the command "sc qc xxxx" for direct dependent of service i.e. Browser, MRxSmb20 and NSI, then the same for their dependents.

Having a list of services that need to be running, execute command "sc query yyy" for all in list and find which service not running. The type of these services should not be 4 (disabled), and they need to be with state 4 (running). After starting lanmnworkstation converter should works as expected.

Also you can googling about lanmanworstation and Windows 8.1 problems.

HTH

PS

One (wild) thing you need to check - name of computer must not be same as the name of workgroup/domain.

0 Kudos
caleecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to you both. I'm out of town and away from my computer so it may take me a week or so to till I am able to follow up on this.

0 Kudos
caleecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I googled lanmanworstation and Windows 8.1 problems and most problems seem to revolve around SMB problems.

I executed the sc query command as you directed for all the dependencies and they all seem to be running. Yet, when I try to manually start workstation in the Services windows, I still get an error:

pastedImage_0.png

Here are the commands I typed to query the dependencies:

C:\Windows\system32>sc  qc  lanmanworkstation

[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: lanmanworkstation

TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START

ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL

BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkServic

LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   : NetworkProvider

TAG                : 0

DISPLAY_NAME       : Workstation

DEPENDENCIES       : Bowser

: MRxSmb20

: NS

SERVICE_START_NAME : NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

C:\Windows\system32>sc query Bowser

SERVICE_NAME: Bowser

TYPE               : 2  FILE_SYSTEM_DRIVER

STATE              : 4  RUNNING

(STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)

CHECKPOINT         : 0x0

WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

C:\Windows\system32>sc query NSI

SERVICE_NAME: NSI

TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

C:\Windows\system32>sc query MRxSmb20

SERVICE_NAME: MRxSmb20

TYPE               : 2  FILE_SYSTEM_DRIVER

Let me know if you have any other ideas/suggestions.  Thanks for all your help to date!

0 Kudos
caleecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NOTE: In going through my records, I see that I did disable SMBv1, SMBv2, & SMBv3 in May 17 to prevent wannacry.

Per: How to Disable SMB on Windows Machines to prevent WannaCry Ransomware - VinRansomware

I ran the following commands

Disables the SMBv1 on the SMB client by running the below commands:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi 

sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled

Disables the SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client by running the below commands:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi 

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The first sequence, with SMB2, is proper one.

Did you achieve to start Lanmanworkstation?

0 Kudos
caleecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure if I understand your response.

But as I stated in my earlier reply, I'm having the same issues as always. I'm forced to try to start workstation manually and when I do, I get error 1075. It will not start.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to start SMB2 and disable SMB1.

Did you managed to run lanmanworkstation service?

0 Kudos
caleecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I apologize for my confusion. I am still not following you.

Per my post #22, lanmanworstation dependencies now show to be Boswer, NSI, and MrxSmb20 after disabling Smb1 and enabling Smb2. All of the dependencies including MrxSmb20 are running when I do a "sc query".

Is there a difference between MrxSmb20 running and enabling Smb2? I think I followed your instructions per an earlier post to enable Smb2.

I think you may have missed reading my post 22 and are responding to my post 23 which was only a notation to provide historical background information. Post 22 is the latest state of my system. and in response to your post 20.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

MrxSmb20 is SMB2. If you run lamnanworkstation and converter server still didn't start please post server's log.

0 Kudos
caleecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I stated in my post 22, I cannot get the workstation to run even though all it's dependencies are running. So I'm unclear how posting the converter server log would be helpful. But if I'm mistaken, let me know and I'm happy to post it.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You're correct, if lanmanworkstation service status doesn't change, the logs are useful.

Try some system repair techniques as  "sfc /scannow"

HTH

0 Kudos
caleecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

scannow did not find any problems. I will investigate further repairs to get lanmanworkstation running and post back what I find. Thanks!

0 Kudos
calebjenkinson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue and I found a solution. Not sure if this will help but I thought I'd post as this thread is coming high up in Google searches.

My fix was changing a registry key.

1. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control in the Windows Registry Editor and create or modify a ServicesPipeTimeout DWORD32 decimal value to at least 300000 (5 minutes).

2. Restart the system for the changes to take effect.

Source: https://virtualnomadblog.com/2018/07/11/vcenter-converter-6-2-error-1053-the-service-did-not-respond...

Note this was done after the above steps so I'm not sure if all of the lanman service and SMB issues affected me.

C

wilsontoms
Contributor
Contributor

To anyone here from a Google search just trying to get Standalone converter to work - I found downloading version 6.0.0 avoids all of the issues above. There's a dropdown on the download page that lets you select the version.

ldeese1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm arrived here from a Google search. --- wilsontoms --- speaks the truth. Thank you, wilsontoms for taking the time to post your message.

Installing 6.0.0 WORKED for me.

(machine was a working Old Compaq running Vista 32 Bit.)

The file generated was 33GB (VMConverter grabbed the restore drive as well)

I spent about 20 hours fooling with this.

Found this thread and had it fixed in an hour (shorter, if I had read the entire thread first.)

Can the moderator "sticky" wilsontoms post to the top?

Thank you, everyone.

-Lee

Ajax223344
Contributor
Contributor

Hi calebjenkinson,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I've followed your solution and successfully started the converter server. Great:)

For potential users, it is recommended to adopt this advice if you want to save time.

More over, the converter with version 6.0 or 6.1 is not available to download now. Here's the download link to check:

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?productId=701&rPId=20180&downloadGroup=CONV60_GA#errorChe...

IBAGEEK
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue with VMware Converter 6.2 on server 2008 STD. A previous coworker had saved a copy of 6.1 and that worked like a champ.

0 Kudos
tharakal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dear,

I'm this problem are solved. this is VMware Converter 6.2 bug. uninstall VMware 6.2 and reinstall VMware converter V6, solved this issue  

Download  Link (unofficial link removed by moderator)

0 Kudos
Ross_ODF
Contributor
Contributor

THIS WAS THE SOLUTION FOR ME!!!!!!          THANKS FOR THE POST.

Below are specific details if you need to create the ServicePipeTimeout which is what I had to do in my case.

How to increase the timeout value for the service startup

Additionally, you can change the timeout value for the service startup in the Windows registry:

1. Launch Windows Registry Editor.
  2. Find the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

1. Right-click this key and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  2. A new value named New Value #1 appears on the right.
  3. Change the name of this new value to ServicesPipeTimeout.
  4. Right-click the ServicesPipeTimeout value you created, and choose Modify. The Edit DWORD Value window opens.
  5. Change Base to Decimal.
  6. In the Value data field, type the 300000 (5 minutes) = value (in milliseconds) of time allowed for the service to start, and click OK.
0 Kudos
Ruben_SOSA
Contributor
Contributor

I have a problem:

When the installation finishes I get this error.

Ruben_SOSA_0-1673907537146.png

When I try to manually start it, I get the following error

Ruben_SOSA_1-1673907779749.png

Please help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos