VMware Cloud Community
RogerSween
Contributor
Contributor

"An error occurred during the conversion: 'Unknown exception'",

We're using Vcenter to P2V some of our servers. Most have worked, but the ones that fail, fail with a description that is not helpful at all.

mostRecentError = (converter.fault.CloneFault) {

--> dynamicType = <unset>,

--> faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

--> description = "Unknown exception",

--> msg = "An error occurred during the conversion: 'Unknown exception'",

--> },

--> numConsecutiveErrors = 1,

We're tried several different ways of cloning including matching the hardware, not thin provisioning, setting permissions, using a domain admin account and still we get this error.

has anyone else had this error and figured out a solution?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please upload the log bundle for failed task.

0 Kudos
RogerSween
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the bundle. Any idea what may have caused this problem?

0 Kudos
ivivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately not all information is present in the log files, specifically the agent log is missing (Converter Agent is the part that is running on the source machine and performs the actual cloning). Can you export the log bundle for the failed *task*, but not *job*? You need to switch Converter GUI to Task view from toolbar, then right click the task and select "Export logs". Doing the same for a job does not include the agent task log bundle in the archive, so the most valuable information is missing.

RogerSween
Contributor
Contributor

so it turns out it was the networking on our vswitches. We have a pair of nortel 5520 switches that 2 physical nics are attached to. They are in an MLT , and connect back to the vsphere host on vmnic 0 and 1. Our regular port groups (per vlan) were setup correctly. the vswitch was set for pomiscous(sp) mode reject , mac address change and forged transmits accept, load balancing set to ip hash, link status only etc. We found that we could ping the vcenter server but not the vcenter host from the failing machine. Turns out our managment network was configured for just the defaults! We changed it so that load balancing was set on ip hash, network failover was link status only, and we unchedked notify switches, and over ride fail over. ping ping ping!!

0 Kudos
Phip42
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same error, but i do not have the issue that the server cannot ping back or communicated with either the converter or the vcenter/host cluster. I have attached my log files and would absolutely love some assistance.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The diagnostic bundle doesn't contain the agent log. Can you try to get it manually? It should be located at "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Agent\logs" on the source machine.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Phip42
Contributor
Contributor

Re ran the job with the same failure to make sure i have the most recent logs.  Something i noticed, the agent log didn't update.  I will include all three logs.

Here are a few details about what iam trying to run.

1. only copying c drive

2. Powered on machine

3. P2V

4. Source and dest on different domains.

0 Kudos
Mikky83
Contributor
Contributor

Set DNS on source

0 Kudos
ltshing
Contributor
Contributor

I learnt that VMware convertor 5.0 can solve the alignment problem for vmdk in SAN storage, then I tried a V2V and got the same error as titled.

Finally I solved it out by opening some firewall ports as below:

Converting a powered on Windows operating system

Source
Destination
TCP Ports
UDP Ports
Notes
Converter server
Source computer
445, 139, 9089 or 9090
137, 138
If the source computer uses NetBIOS, port 445 is not required. If NetBIOS is not being used, ports 137, 138, and 139 are not required. If in doubt, make sure that none of the ports are blocked.
Port 9089 is used for Converter Standalone versions, and 9090 is used for the Converter plugin.
Note: Unless you have installed Converter server to the source computer, the account used for authentication to the source computer must have a password, the source computer must have network file sharing enabled, and it cannot be using Simple File Sharing.
Source computer
ESX
443, 902
If the conversion target is VirtualCenter then only port 902 is required.
0 Kudos
Baskar34
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

I’ll be in out of station until the end of November, with irregular access to e-mail. No doubt I will still neurotically check my messages, but I may only be able to respond to pressing issues. I’ll try to get back to all as soon as possible.

If you need immediate assistance, you can still reach me @90106167 or email to irinedc_sysadm@ncs.com.sg.

Thank you for your understanding.

Have a Great Day !

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

By pointing the destination to a UNC file path, it will convert the physical machine to Disk and the error disappeared.

It seems the vConverter require proper communication between the Source vConverter -> Server being converted. Server being converted -> to vCenter/ESX hosts. If the ESX/vCenter in another network where the server that being converted cannot reach it, it will always display the above error.

Thanks,

Hussain

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
RobPetty
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure port TCP902 is not getting blocked to the destination ESXi host.

Rob

0 Kudos
tharakal
Contributor
Contributor

I'm allowed source PC port 902 and 443 (Firewall). now it is working fine.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos