VMware Cloud Community
tt0wnsend
Contributor
Contributor

problems finding correct sysprep file(s)

I used Symantec Backup Exec system Recovery software to create a disk image. I used VMWare Converter to import the image - choosing source - backup or disk image which is a .svzi file. I chose the destination as VM Standalone virtual machine since VMWare Server was one of the items listed under that choice. I chose to create a full clone. I had to answer how many NICs I had and choose bridge, NAT, or host only - I have done this three different times and choose each one each time. The import works fine. When I try to configure my virutal machine choose a source image (.vmx file), I must answer to customize identity (so that I can run the physical machine and the virutal machine with different names and IP addresses since they are on the same network) it prompts me for a sysprep file. I have tried downloading the sysprep file(s) I need and I have tried pointing to where the sysprep folder is on the system tools portion of the Windows CD. Either way, I receive the error "unable to find required sysprep files". When I try to open the host I created without choosing the option to customize identity, I cannot open the host. I receive this error "There was a problem connecting - host address lookup for server failed. The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found". Please help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do not use the sysprep utility on the CD as it will be outdated. Chances are your install of windows in the .svzi file has been patched with a servicepack. If you can recall that servicepack level and the type of OS you can locate the correct sysprep files from google

example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sysprepwindows2003sp264bit&btnG=Google+Search

0 Kudos
tt0wnsend
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded the correct version of the support tools again (reinstalling on both servers of which both have SP2 - Windows Server 2003 X86 edition. I tried the import again and got back to the sysprep prompting. I received the error "setupcl.exe is not present. sysprep cannot run on this system". I found KB245577 that relate ( to this problem and ran through the steps to correct it by extracting the files into the system 32 folder and still received the same error. Can you think of anything else I can try? I certainly appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
tt0wnsend
Contributor
Contributor

I have now gotten past the sysprep problem. I downloaded the correct version of the files and extracted them into the C:\Windows\system32 directory and was able to import and configure. I now may have to post a different issue with VMWare Server Console and this error when I try to connect to the Virtual Machine I created: "There was a problem connecting: Host address lookup for server HDHCSVM failed. Requested name is valid, but no data of requested type found. I am reconfiguring my image using bridged mode instead of NAT and assigning the VM a different address than the actual physical machine. If anyone wants to respond back to this problem, I would appreciate it. If not, I will post it under a different subject than sysprep. Thanks!

0 Kudos