VMware Cloud Community
gbhawksupport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

popular error ; An error occurred while opening a virtual disk. Verify that the converter server and the running source machines have a network access to the source and destination ESX/ESXi hosts.

So again; same problem others have encountered but nothing seems to work.

An error occurred while opening a virtual disk. Verify that the converter server and the running source machines have a network access to the source and destination ESX/ESXi hosts.

We have 1 physical servers we need to visualize. Here is the environment. All 3 separate location, All 3 separate firewalls

1 physical servers

-  Internal IP; 172.16.160.21
   -  FARM Firewall

vCenter Server

-  Internal IP; 172.16.1.85

-  Local office (ALX)

Destination Location (ESXi Host):

-  Internal IP; 172.16.153.20

-  COLOC Firewall

Already Completed:

VMware KB: Disabling SSL encryption on VMware Converter Standalone 5.x    Disabled SSL in Converter-Worker

Firewall are open/Tunnel is open throughout the environment.

I've attached the logs.

Many Many Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gbhawksupport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

POCEH; thanks for the reply. But I wouldn't be pulling out all my grey hair if I knew what the problem was. I understand it failed to the peer but why ... ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The error is: 2015-01-16T06:20:03.580-05:00 [03848 warning 'Default'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Failed to connect to server 172.16.153.20:902

It's self explaining Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
gbhawksupport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

POCEH; thanks for the reply. But I wouldn't be pulling out all my grey hair if I knew what the problem was. I understand it failed to the peer but why ... ?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The problem is that your computer, where the converter worker run, can not access ESX box at port 902.

HTH

0 Kudos
gbhawksupport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i had to bad mouth myself but i'm such a dumba**.  DUH!   You were right, The local computer could not ping or trace to the physical ESXi even though it could connect through vCenter. Thanks so much for a second set of eyes.

0 Kudos