VMware Cloud Community
LWilliams55
Contributor
Contributor

p2v rollback?

Hi,

After running the p2v converter and adding the newly created VM to the host... if something were to go wrong (performance related) can i roll back?

I was thinking I'd be able to power off the VM then power back on the physical box and everything would go back to normal.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Can i do this for machines with SAN attached storage?

thx,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

that is a benefit of p2v. If something doesn't work. you have your physical to roll back to. Just power down the vm and revert back to physical. We usually leave our physical hardware racked two weeks post p2v, then decommission.

0 Kudos
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, you can do that

but if you have added new VM to domain etc. you may have to add your physical server again (if using same server names on VM and physical)

0 Kudos
jshely
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes you can rollback fairly easily with no issues. You will need to delete the account from AD, and ensure that both servers are not turned on at the same time. If you have SAN attached storage, you shouldnt have any problems reading the disks if they are RDM's. IF they are just accesses through the HBA then you really shouldnt see any issues.

Omaha VMUG Leader; vExpert 2009

Principal TAM - Technical Account Manager f-Office of the CTO Global Field vExpert 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 VMware Representative for Omaha VMUG VMUG Board of Directors 2010, 2011
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Well, if you accidently destroyed your physical servers, you still have an option to V2P your machine using Platespin tools to do that as well. Besides, if your physical is still available, just a matter of power off VM, remove it in AD and turn back on the physical server but you might have synchronization lag because the longer you running the virtual machines, the physical server aren't up to date with the changes especially the Exchange, SQL and Domain Controllers, these are constantly updating their databases. Plan accordingly if these are the situation otherwise use V2P converter tool to be safe or restore databases from backup to the latest.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos