VMware Cloud Community
mattk_tx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

p2v on server with 2 arrays (raid1 and raid10)

Hello,

I currently have a sql server (physical) with a raid1 (os) and raid 10 (sqldata).  I would like to convert this to a virtual server.  On the new virtual server I have 3 arrays.  One array for esx, one array for the virtual os drive, and one array for the virtual sql data.

How can I use the standalone converter to keep the arrays in virtual environment the same as physical? (os on one array and sql data on the other array)?

Thanks,

Matt

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In that case, you need to p2v only os drive and add new disk for VM. Then run robocopy or similar kind of manual copy from old server to new VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dmeyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You could just p2v to a single LUN and then Storage vMotion to move your volumes to different LUNs.

0 Kudos
mattk_tx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using esxi free version.  What about doing the p2v of just the c: drive of the physical server.  Then creating a datastore of the other array (1.0TB). Then adding another drive and selecting the newly created datastore (1.0TB).  Any way to do this? 

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

if you have enough space in your OS datastore , do complete p2v. Once it is in environment, detach your sql disk from VM, manually copy the disk to another datastore and point vmdk from new datastore. Once everything comes up fine, delete old vmdk file.

dmeyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is exactly what I would suggest also

0 Kudos
mattk_tx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately I have a 300gb raid 1 array and a 1TB raid 10 array on the vm (new) server.  The physical (old) server is 300gb for the c: drive and 500gb for the d: drive. 

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In that case, you need to p2v only os drive and add new disk for VM. Then run robocopy or similar kind of manual copy from old server to new VM.

0 Kudos