VMware Cloud Community
tomandresen
Contributor
Contributor

p2v Unable to query the live linux source machine

HI, I need to make a hot clone of a Centos server with cPanel installed.

The CentOS version is:

CentOS release 5.4 (Final)

The kernel (uname -a) is as follows:

Linux 2.6.18-92.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 19:22:41 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I've installed the standalone converter server on the machine, and am using the standalone converter client from a Windows machine. I am able to log onto the converter server. However, when I select Convert Machine, enter my credentials, and press Next, I get the following error message:

Unable to query the live linux source machine

Upon examining the log files, I found that the following error occurred:

#40] while trying to execute "/usr/lib/vmware-vcenter-converter-standalone/bin/plink -noprompt -stdin -nokeycheck -P 444 root@servername uname -m" received error code (1) with result: FATAL ERROR: Server unexpectedly closed network connection

I've done a few searches already, and have tried the following:

Ensure that I can connect to the CentOS machine over SSH using putty

Ensure that root login is allowed

Removed echo commands from /root/.bashrc

Removed "mesg y" in /etc/bashrc

Verified that /tmp is not mounted with noexec

Verified that XEN is not installed

Tried entering both port 22, 444 and 8080 in the credentials.

I have attached the server logs.

I'm just about out of ideas, so any help would be much appreciated.

/Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
manderson
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to P2V a Cpanel server as well and got the same error.  Have you found a solution to this?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you try to manually run vmware-sysinfo on the source machine? There are 2 tarballs in the directory where converter is installed - vmware-sysinfo-lin32.tar.gz and vmware-sysinfo-lin64.tar.gz. What converter normally does is to upload it to a temp dir at the source, execute it there, and then delete it. It also produces a log, but it doesn't get retrieved by converte. If you do this manually you can see the log.

0 Kudos