VMware Cloud Community
phoenicyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

not enough space on the source volumes... Error code: 2147754783 (0x8004231F).

VMWare team, please instead of showing the error and cancelling conversion of the physical machine, offer "Do you want to continue conversion anyway?" option.

I'm trying to converta physical desktop to NAS using network path (\\bnas4\vms), and getting the error. The volume has 6TB of free space but the Converted cannot determine the free space.

Please fix this!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
phoenicyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally, it worked! I went to the Services Panel and stopped instances of SQL Server, MySQL, and the "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider". And after that the conversion to the network NAS worked!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Phoenicyan,

Please don't be so trigger-happy 🙂

0x8004231F (VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE) is an error you get when VSS on the source machine has failed to create a snapshot. There is probably not enough free space there. This snapshot is required to ensure the data integrity after the conversion.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
phoenicyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick answer! I'm in AZ, and it is normal to be "trigger happy" here :smileygrin:

The Desktop has 300GB drive C with 63GB free. I do not select drive D for conversion. Is 63GB of free space not enough for snapshot? How much space should I have on C drive for the conversion?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Smiley Happy

63GB should be enough (usually about 15% are enough)

You may check whether there are no current snapshots that take the space (run "vssadmin list shadows" in command prompt)

You may eventually restart the "Volume Shadow Copy" service but beware that would not disrupt any applications that are using it (backups, SQL server,...)

0 Kudos
phoenicyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally, it worked! I went to the Services Panel and stopped instances of SQL Server, MySQL, and the "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider". And after that the conversion to the network NAS worked!