VMware Cloud Community
20thCB
Contributor
Contributor

inaccessible_boot_device after p2v Windows 2000 Pro SP4 to Workstation 6.5

I am using the latest VMware Converter Standalone 4.0.1 to p2v a physical

Windows 2000 Professional SP4 PC. The PC is a standard Pentium with IDE

disk from circa 2001. The disk is 20GB partitioned logically into C:

and D. It converts with no errors (I did both disks into one VMDK).

When I power on the VM in VMware Workstation 6.5 (or Vmware Player

2.5) it gets to the Win 2000 boot graphic then I get a BSOD with the

classic 0x7B Stop error: inaccessible_boot_device.

Is there anything I can do to get the vm to boot? I am lost for ideas, normally p2v of a basic IDE pc works flawlessly.

The source PC does not have a NIC, so I installed Converter onto the PC and selected "Local machine" for the source option. I used an external USB as the destination, which worked fine.

I can mount the resultant VMDK with the vmware-mount tool with no issues. It just won't boot!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

On your Windows 2000 do you have a single OS, or do you have more row in boot.ini?

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
20thCB
Contributor
Contributor

Single OS, standard business PC circa 2001.

Actually, I've just gone back into the Converter options, and noticed that in the Disk Options it said "Preserve source". Maybe that is the problem? So I'm doing the conversion again but this time changing the disk type to IDE.

I'll update once it's finished.

Update....Nope, still doesn't boot. Still get inaccessible_boot_device.

I'm just about ready to give up.

0 Kudos
Daloushe
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with an NT machine. I ghosted it with two different imagers. Norton Ghost 2003 and a german one called snapshot.

Both go bluescreen *** STOP: 0x0000007B

INACACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Anybody?????

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A 7b BSOD after a ghost import is expected behaviour. You must use Converter reconfigure option against the vmx-file

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
20thCB
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't do a ghost...I just did a live "hot" clone. Also, I did a Reconfigure afterwards on the vmx, it didn't make any difference. Still can't boot.

0 Kudos
Daloushe
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I ran the reconfigure option on my Virtual NT Machine, and it now works fine.

0 Kudos
mudito
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys. First post here, hope I'm helpful.

I had the same Issue which if you google it, there are PLENTY of possible solutions. None of them worked completely to me.

I P2V'ed a Win2K Sp4 which originally had 1 IDE drive with 2 partitions. VMWare converter recognoiced it as 2 drives.

After the successful convertion, the server gave me the *"A disk read error occurred press ctrl alt delete to

restart"* legend.

Googled for it a lot, and implemented every solution I was able to find. Changing VMDK virtual disk geometry, etc,etc,etc.

Finally I was able to boot and see the Happy White Windows 2000 loading screen and then : "Inaccessible boot device" blue scren. I've tried EVERTHING i read here and there and none of the possible solutions worked, so I tried a good old one workaroud.

I had now 2 VMDKs from both partitions, I got rid of the 2nd coz was useless (D drive had install files, SPs, hotfixes, etc). I've created a NEW Virtual Disk the same size of the existent C drive. While i was creating it, I choose SCSI (buslogic). Since the server was IDE, the SCSI was not installed and the VirtualDisk were attached as IDE devices.

After this, I've CLONED the IDE to the SCSI (With ACRONIS, since Ghost32 over BartPE was not detecting the SCSI,I don't know why and I did not care much either about it), Then Deleted the IDE converted one and Started the server only with the newly created SCSI.

Voilá!, the server boots! Started up, installed the TOOLS, restarted, all nice and good.

BTW, I'm running ESXi4.0 Update1, just in case.

Hope you find this useful!

regards

Aldo Zampatti

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

With ACRONIS, since Ghost32 over BartPE was not detecting the SCSI ...

If you are interested - check out the BartPE I make - it comes with Converter and all the relevant drivers for P2V to VMware

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
jondidit
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue. I got around this by choosing to resize the boot disk while converting (increased it a little).

0 Kudos