avartak
Contributor
Contributor

importing a VM on ESX 2.5.4 to 3.x using VMWare Converter

Hi, I am trying to import a virtual machine on an ESX Server 2.5.4 to an ESX Server 3.x. I am using VMWare Converter 3.0.1

When I run the wizard, at a certain point I get an error saying: "The managed host was actually running ESX 2.x rather than 3.x or VC.

Any ideas how I might be able to work around this? Or can someone suggest some other tool that might do the job?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
avarcher
Commander
Commander

What about booting the VM to an ISO of the Converter boot CD (Cold Clone) and importing in that way?

0 Kudos
dmanconi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

I have just moved 15 vm's from esx 2.5 to esx 3.x. When running the converter, instead of choosing virtual machine choose physical computer, and point it at you esx 2.5 vm. Then follow the processdure as normal. This will push the converter agent to the vm and do a "HOT" conversion to your esx 3.x host.

This is assuming you have the enterprise version of converter of course. The only issue I have come across is that I lose the vm ip address during the conversion, so I just make sure I have a ipconfig /all dumped onto the local vm before I convert. Oh and I had a weird issue where I had to upgrade to the latest 2.5.X vmtools before I could upgrade to the 3.x vmtools. But that was only on 2 of my conversions.

Cheers

David

0 Kudos
sepso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can't import powered off VMs located on an ESX Server 2.5.x host without first going through VirtualCenter 2.x. The only way to get access to these VMs is to power them on and access them as "physical machines" over the network when you run Converter.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Converter access virtual machines in two ways-- one when they are powered on, and two when they are powered off. When VMs are powered on, you can select "physical machine" and Converter can find the VM. If the VM is powered off, Converter can read Workstation/Server VMs located on a Windows directory, or if the VMs are ESX Server, only if the VMs can be seen through an ESX Server 3.x host. You must access the VM through VirtualCenter Server 2 that is managing an ESX Server 2.5.x host. VirtualCenter can also be used to access managed ESX Server 3.x hosts VMs.

0 Kudos