VMware Cloud Community
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

how to convert only one volume to EXISTING vm

hello,

i am using esx 3.0.1.

how can i convert only one volume(drive D from phisycal machine) to existing virtual machine ?

when i am using the converter (from the physical

machine) and even that i am choosing not to convert drive c ,the converter still create for me new virtual machine with my drive (even that this is only drive D). i am looking a way convert volumes (not system volumes) like D,E,F and so on ,to existing virtual machines without creating new vm's.......

its possible ?

respectfully,

avi

Message was edited by:

azerrad

Message was edited by:

azerrad

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aozm48
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Avi

Currently VMware converter will always create a new Virtual Machine, even if you only want the one volume from the source server.

What you will probably have to do is run the conversion with only drive D selected, then move the VMDK file to the same directory as your machine you wish to attach it to.

Next from the client, edit the settings of the machine you want this drive on, click add and select Hard Drive. Follow the onscreen instructions and ensure that you select use an existing virtual disk. This will then attach the D drive converted earlier to this virtual machine

Hope this helps

Daniel

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Wouldn't it be 100 times easier to simply use the network and xcopy the data over to your VM from the physical drive, if all it is is a data volume? Or, just run ghost (or other imaging software) to image the disk, then manually restore it in the VM to a new virtual disk.

bretti
Expert
Expert

It might depend on what type of data it is. We've had real good success with robocopy.exe using the MIRROR switch. You can move whole drives, just folders, etc. All online. During the final cutover, disable the shares on the source, run one last robocopy, and cut over.

my 2cents

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hi ,

yes,ghost or symantec backup exec 6.5 asr,will be ok,but i just wanted to know if the product converter will be able to do that ,and i understood that its impossible...

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

thanks to everybody,but i seems (as aozm48

said) there isnt a way to converet specific drive without to create a virtual machne.

thanx again to everybody.

0 Kudos