VMware Cloud Community
ZenMasta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esxi only or vmplayer?

I'm trying to figure out a solution to my problem.

Problem is that I have 2 computers that need to be replaced. But they have legacy software not compatible with windows 7 and that's pretty much all that's available now.

So I want to convert the 2 computers to a vmware instance.  But my question is concering the converter. Does it only convert to a esxi compatible instance or would the file work with vmware player?

My thought would be that I can get a new computer and setup the old computer as a vm and just use vmplayer to use the old system etc.

LATER down the road then I was thinking esxi and then we could just connect via RDP.

I would prefer to NOT use esxi right now because the hardware I would use for esxi is currently being used and I'm not ready to tackle on that project yet unless that is the only option.

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can specify both, vSphere and VMware Workstation (that's what you have to specify for VMware Player too) as the target in the Converter.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can specify both, vSphere and VMware Workstation (that's what you have to specify for VMware Player too) as the target in the Converter.

André

0 Kudos
ZenMasta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, this is going to make my life much easier.

0 Kudos