VMware Cloud Community
lil328i
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

convert to virtual machine with users logged on

Hi everyone,

Is is "OK " to convert a small terminal server to a virtual machine while the users are logged on?

It does work, as I have done this several times, but wanted to know for sure..what the implications may be.

I have several terminal servers and I would like to keep a Virtual copy of them, just in case tha hardware version breaks, thus, I can get the users up and working while on the virtual version while the hardware is repaired.

Thanks!!

Peter

Thanks & Regards Peter K. VCP 5.1
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

P2V the server to get yourself going initially, then slowly build out the farm of virtual machines that provide terminal services. eventually you can decommission the p2v version if problems occur.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would say that everything that works is ok Smiley Wink

I prefer coldclones but thats a matter of taste I guess.

Hotcloneing will miss some files that were created during the clone but if thats ok for you - do it like that

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I did such conversions few times, and this worked really nice. But finally all my conversions finished with completely setup of new VM (from scratch in VMware). That is because some driver issues, and later on I also saw many small, annoying warnings/messages, that I was not able to fix, so finally all my p2v converted servers were completely reinstalled.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

P2V the server to get yourself going initially, then slowly build out the farm of virtual machines that provide terminal services. eventually you can decommission the p2v version if problems occur.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos