VMware Cloud Community
crakalakin
Contributor
Contributor

convert completes, then "A disk read error occured, press ctl+alt+delete to restart" at VM bootup

In the console on bootup (after BIOS screen) i see : "A disk read error occured, press ctlaltdelete to restart". The conversion is a success, it creates the VM with no error.

Any ideas?

I'm running ESXi 4.0 on a dell PE 2800. Using standalone converter, latest version. The machine I'm trying to convert is windows XP SP2. It has two discs in raid setup - could this be the issue? Is there any special way I need to setup the virtual drives to avoid this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can you boot the VM into a LiveCD like BartPE or Knoppix ? - maybe the disk is just not bootable but evberything else is fine ...

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
crakalakin
Contributor
Contributor

I can bootup into a live Ubuntu CD. This seems to be something with the XP install because i searched the error on google and it comes up with a number of fixes dealing with booting up from the XP disc and running some chkdsk and fixmbr stuff.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you check the active-flag ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
crakalakin
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Solved. I ran the converter from a remote machine and make the discs scsi instead of IDE.

0 Kudos