VMware Cloud Community
vmmar
Contributor
Contributor

convert Dell 1950 server into vmware

Hi ,

i have Dell 1050 server which has redhat and oracle apps running on it. i am wondering how to transfer/convert that dell server and its app into vmware server. i have vmware server already there which few instance running with vm infrasture client 2.5.0. i know creating new vmware the thing is that is it possible to transfer all from del server into vmware as it is.?

Help would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
cainics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Converter migrates the OS and data into a VM as it is.Once the server is virtualized you will have to make some post virtualization configuration for memory, CPU etc.

Are you running the VMWare server or VMWare Infrastructure edition (ESX or ESXi) ?

Thanks

“Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate.”

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

You can use VMware Converter to do a physical to virtual (P2V) of that Dell 1950's OS. That will basically do a clone of the operating system and all of its application and allow it run on VMware platform. This kb article has some things to consider.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002402

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Actually, use Converter 4.0 Standalone since it fully supports Red Hat.

0 Kudos
vmmar
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the response!!!

where do you want to install the vmconverter ? , is it downloaded? can you explain in details since i am newbie to vm

Thanks

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can download VMware Converter off the site. You can install VMware Converter on your workstation or any server on the network and it will provide a console to do the source-to-target migration.

*Please consider awarding points if this answer was correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
vmmar
Contributor
Contributor

well , i went through the download site and it has differencent OS compatibility. since mine is linux, do i need to download the linux(tar) version and install itin linux Dell server which i want to migrate to vmware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's up to you. You could install it on your Windows workstation and use the console to do the source-to-target migration. You could also install it on the Linux host itself but I figure why do that?

*please consider awarding points if this answer was correct or helpful

0 Kudos
cainics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since it's a linux server i will personally recommend that you follow a cold clone process of the linux server.

What it means is that you download the "cold clone cd" of the VMWare converter. Shutdown the server, and reboot it using this CD. That way the cloning process goes well. There is also an option to perform a hot clone while the server is up and running but i have run into issues with hot cloning of linux servers in the past (not red hat but suse linux).

Hope this helps.

“Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate.”

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

Since you seem to have VMware Server (and not ESX), you will not be able to do a live cloning of the powered-on Linux machine using Converter. So you should use the Cold Clone CD that is available with Converter 3.X enterprise, though you may not have access to this.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
vmmar
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!!!

0 Kudos