VMware Cloud Community
huwy
Contributor
Contributor

conversion failed "a general system error occurred" internalerror

Hi,

I'm trying to virtualise a windows 2000 server but it's failing with the error "a general system error occurred" internalerror

I've looked at the logs (attached) but can't see why this is happening. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Al

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

On the log highlights section, there is an "Export Logs" option. can you click that and then provide the zip file as an attachment to this post?

Also, search our kb system http://kb.vmware.com/ for "converter 97%"

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Booo I'm having the same problems now. This is an old thread, but I hope someone reads this...

A handful of my conversions are failing as well with the same error:

FAILED: A general system error occurred:

InternalError

However its not always at 97%, sometimes its 95%. Like I said, its not all conversions, many have run fine with no problems, just a few are having this issue.

Could this be corruption on the physical disk and/or file system? Bad clusters and/or sectors?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I would attach the logs but there's all sorts of juicy stuff in there I dont want the public to see (IP addresses, domain name, username)

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you can get as far as 97 % the import may already be successful.

Did you ever test the results ?

To patch the drivers you do NOT need to start over - just run "configure machine" option again or use DriverInjectionGUI

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah! Excellent question, and thanks for the quick reply!

Unlike where most conversions "fail" and the freshly created VM is then deleted by the converter, when these conversions fail it leaves the newly created VM in vSphere, powered off. However, when I power them on I get a blue screen right after the Windows logo: "inaccessible boot device" wah, wah, waaaaah...

By the way the source machines are running Windows 2000 Advanced Server on HP DL360's.

I've looked through several KB articles and seen lots of stuff about the network interface of the source machine, or timeouts and/or network latency/performance issues. I dont believe this is the case however, because the conversions seem to run very quickly (over our gigabit network)

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

as already mentioned a BSOD on first start is no catastrophe.

Find out if it is a 7b bluescreen. If yes - configure again or - better - use DriverInjectionGUI to fix the driver

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos