VMware Cloud Community
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

cannot see all drives while using converter 3

hello ,

i am using vmware converter 3 (build 39557-the latest) ,and i am trying to convert windows 2003 server R2 (with sp1) that having 2 drives : C+D ,both are from storage, from phisycal to virtual,but when i am starting the converter i can see that i can convert only drive c why ?

as i described both disks are from the same emc storage ,but the converter recognize only drive C ....why ?

drive D is dynamic disk , drive C is a basic disk.

please guide me.....

respectfully,

avi

Message was edited by:

azerrad

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Some have reported problems trying to convert dynamic disks.

One workaround for you would be to use Converter for the C: drive, then copy the 😧 drive in some other manner such as LiveState or TrueImage.

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

i already moved dynamic disks before with the converter 3 ,the problem occur only on this specific server......

respectfully,

avi

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Hmmm. Are both C &D on the same controller? If it's specific to this machine, then perhaps something about this controller or this disk is giving Converter grief.

Is this a one time convert? If so, then just copying 😧 by some other method my be less effort, assuming it's not the boot drive. Just a thought.

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert

Some questions: -

\* Are C: and 😧 on the same disk?

\* What filesystem do you have on d:?

\* Can you post a screenshot of Windows Disk Management console somewhere?

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

drive c+d are in the same controller and both are ntfs........the controller qlogic fiber card and the storage is emc (both drives in the same emc storage) .

drive C is in one disk (as i can see from disk mangment) and drive D is on another disk ,but again both disks are storage disks (emc) and this machine using only one fiber card qlogic 2340.

and i alreday copied drive D with robocopy utility,but its still strange that converter can see only one disk.

respectfully,

avi.

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

drive c+d are in the same controller and both are ntfs........the controller qlogic fiber card and the storage is emc (both drives in the same emc storage) .

drive C is in one disk (as i can see from disk mangment) and drive D is on another disk ,but again both disks are storage disks (emc) and this machine using only one fiber card qlogic 2340.

and i alreday copied drive D with robocopy utility,but its still strange that converter can see only one disk.

respectfully,

avi.

0 Kudos