VMware Cloud Community
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor

can't convert on my esx, only on standalone like workstation

Hello,

I just receive the "vmware converter 3 now available" newsletter. I install it correctly for testing. I try to convert a physical machines (w2003) into a VM on my ESX. the wizard accept only "Vmware standalone virtual machine" on destination type and don't accept ESX server.

Why ?

Is it a problem of licencing ?

What's the process to add a licence file in my Vmware converter?

Thank's for your assistance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

If you have the Enterprise version (are authorized for it) log into the VMware Store, and look at your licences.

You'll have to generate a new license.

Then when you either download it, or receive it in e-mail, all you need to do is import it in the Converter application.

Go to Administration, Licensing Information, and import it there.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
emmar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using VC 2.0?

It's only supported to migrate to 2.5 esx hosts that are managed by VC2

E

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In starter mode you cannot import a remote machine directly into ESX. You will either need to add an enterprise license or install Converter directly on your machine to be imported.

0 Kudos
rhbourque
Contributor
Contributor

Per what pangchen said you can convert to ESX. But to do that you have to install the converter on the machine you want to move to ESX. You cannot do it remotely.

I was wondering if anyone found a way to reduce the size of the drive it wanted to use. If i have a 40gig drive but only use 7 gigs can you force the vm to have only 9gigs instead of wanting to use the originating drive size?

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

In the drive config screen, you can resize the target drives.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
Pedro_BE
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing is stopping you from taking the two-step approach.

You convert a remote machine to a standalone VM, resizing the drives if you choose to giving you a VM workstation machine.

You can then push this standalone VM into an ESX server... takes a bit more time but it does work...

0 Kudos
in-groningen
Contributor
Contributor

If you install the converter on the source machine (and select "This Local Machine" in the source physycal machine section) you can directly convert to an ESX server...

greets

erik

0 Kudos
rockinriley
Contributor
Contributor

I have found that when you install directly to Windows Server 2000 it tries to use Volume Shadow copy which does not exist. So there is no direct imoprt from a windows server 2000.

0 Kudos
rockinriley
Contributor
Contributor

see error below for above message

\[#6] \[2007-02-07 11:44:59.421 'App' 3152 verbose] \[snapshotVolumeFactory,149] Creating snapshot using vsnap

\[#6] \[2007-02-07 11:44:59.421 'App' 3152 verbose] \[snapshotVolumeVSNAPWin32,124] Vsnap does not have admin rights

\[#6] \[2007-02-07 11:44:59.437 'App' 3152 verbose] \[snapshotVolumeVSNAPWin32,127] Snapshotting
?\Volume\{755249d2-6d4f-11d5-b825-806d6172696f} using stcbasic.sys

\[#6] \[2007-02-07 11:44:59.828 'App' 3152 error] \[snapshotVolumeVSNAPWin32,137] stcbasic.sys not installed or snapshot creation failed. err=2

\[#6] \[2007-02-07 11:44:59.828 'App' 3328 verbose] \[imageProcessingTaskStep,307] CloneTask::task\{17} step "clone volumes" 100% completed

\[#6] \[2007-02-07 11:44:59.828 'App' 3328 info] \[imageProcessingTaskStep,196] CloneTask::task\{17} step "clone volumes" destroyed

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

On Windows 2000 an equivalent agent is installed and used. Make sure the Converter installation is complete. It will necessitate a reboot of the machine, unlike 2003 or XP.

0 Kudos
rockinriley
Contributor
Contributor

Hope this helps, as it did work for me after Uninstall and Reinstall.

What happened to me.

I tried to use the Converter Remotely in Starter Edition, found out that I could not go directly to my ESX server that way. I then went upstairs and ran the Install program, it found the client, but not the manager. At that time I installed the manager. That is when it would go 1~5% then go immediately to 97% and shut down. I then tried repair, it did not work. I then uninstalled and reinstalled, it asked for the shutdown, just as you state, then worked perfectly.

I think I would like to suggest that the installer installs the Snapshot piece in client or full install. Obviously if I tried it remotely from my Xp laptop, it was going to use my Xp vss instead of the 2000 component it should have.

0 Kudos