VMware Cloud Community
franco2020
Contributor
Contributor

after vmconverastion when starting vm I get can not find command

I have one vm(xen) converted to ESXi and this one completes 100 percent but when starting up the VM it gives the error can not find command

It is freebx distro and I believe it not the same issue as redhat that is posted

AnywayBase on that solution it's changing the grub and I would not know how to change the grub with a shutdown Linux on esxi

Please assist thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is it even entering in the boot phase? I faced an issue like that it was because of the storage controller.

Are you using IDE or SCSI? Could you also please paste the screenshot of the issue?

0 Kudos
franco2020
Contributor
Contributor

I not 100 percent but I believe its and IDE

screen shoot of issue attached

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you try this? p2v, redhat error can't find command ':'

Go over the responses because it seems that one guy also used that fix for CentOS. Also you can see the next blog post: vmware converter – error: can’t find command ‘:’. after linux conversion – Delirio di un tecnico!

Before the Linux boots you can enter the GRUB and modify that file from inside, to do that follow the next procedure: https://www.cyber-cottage.eu/?p=2257 . You just need to append init=/bin/sh at almost the end and you will be able to login and modify the grub.conf from inside.

0 Kudos
franco2020
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to rem out these commands but it tells me syntax error using #

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello franco,

You should append that line after biosdevname=0. You do not remove anything and as far as i remember you need to use to move there with the arrows only down and right one because if not you cannot position in that last line.

After that you can press Ctrl+x to make the OS boot.

0 Kudos
franco2020
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure what you mean by using arrows key .. I used back space key and then space bar to get result of grub I attached screen shot

Also I have attached a screen shoot of error after this was done

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello franco,

I think you got confused because i said to append this: init=/bin/sh and i cannot see that on neither the first of second screenshot that you provided.

I am just saying to append the next init=/bin/sh after the biosdevname=0 do not delete or change anything of the other lines. You can reboot an start doing it again as the changes are not persistent.

0 Kudos
franco2020
Contributor
Contributor

Ther is no init=/bin/sh do I just add that line right after biosdevname=0

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Exactly that is what i am saying just add that line.

0 Kudos
franco2020
Contributor
Contributor

There two-issue still one it does not save even after reboot and two I get the errors attached

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey franco,

It seems that your machine is not finding the boot device as i can see on your errors. Honestly i have no clue from here, maybe somebody else from the community can still help you.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Franco,

Just to mention that the distro you want to convert, freepbx, is not supported by Converter. By which I mean it has never been tried and is expected not to work (nothing is officially supported anymore now that Converter is EOL).

In such cases the recommended course of action is to boot the converted VM from a live installation ISO image and do some manual reconfiguration job. Since freepbx is a Red Hat derivative, Converter has probably made some right guesses. E.g. it seems GRUB has been installed correctly. Converter has detected dracut as initramfs maker. You should check whether this is correct and you should certainly recreate the initramfs image from the live boot. You may want to also check fstab patching (do this before recreating initramfs).

You may have a look at these threads for more details about manual reconfiguration of converted Linux machines:

Re: Conversion fails with the error:FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion:'root is not fou...

Re: converting Linux server OpenSUSE 13.2 with kernel 3.16.7-29-desktop error : installGrub.sh fai...

One more hint:

- There used to be an issue related to Red Hat starting to use '/run' system mount more actively (Converter doesn't mount it). Related to that, versions in the range 7.5 - 7.6 (approximately) were unconvertable. If that's the case, an eventual upgrade of the source might help. Keep in mind version 8 is unconvertable, though!

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
RyanKam
Contributor
Contributor

Download this program: https://www.linuxhelp.com/how-to-install-grub-customizer-on-centos-7

Run It. And hit save. Do nothing else. Fixes the issue instantly.

0 Kudos