vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  add scsi drivers to a dd image

Posted May 11, 2009 08:33 PM

I have some NT4 workstation drives I need to work with to understand the application that was installed on them. I took images with dd so I could leave the originals un-touched and them was pleased to find how easy it was to take a vmdk file and point it at the raw image. Now I have a drive I can add to an existing machine and see the extra volumes :smileyhappy:

I then created a new NT4 machine with a very small disk, removed that disk and conneted the new disk based on my vmdk & the dd image. It booted :smileyhappy: again I was over the moon....

Then BSOD cause the SCSI drivers are not installed I guess! I want to take this vmdk & data file and use VMware converter to 'inject' the SCSI driver in to the image so I can then boot to original machine.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: add scsi drivers to a dd image

Posted May 11, 2009 10:59 PM

try this tool here http://sanbarrow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1162

rename your dd-image to nt4-flat.vmdk - then use the tool and specify that nt4-flat.vmdk

The tool then creates a descriptorfile for it - you should select option "workstation = buslogic"

Next add the disk to a newly created NT-VM and run the oldest Converter-version you find against it.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD: